VMware Cloud Community
bornsilly
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 Routing between WAN en LAN.

All,

I have recently installed vmware ESXi 4.1 and am currently trying to get everything to work together.

My situation is that i have 2 nics.

NIC 1  is connected to the Internet this adapter i have added in vSwitch called WAN.

NIC 2  is connected to my Internal network. This adapeter i have added in vSwitch called LAN.

I have installed virtual machine with pfsense which uses 2 virtual network controllers using both WAN and LAN. From what i can tell this works perfectly since from my internal network i can access the internat through this and i can access the guest using its internal lan ip number.

next to this i have several virtual machines that are connected to the LAN vSwitch that run various webapplications like Apache Webserver. The problem however is when i use NAT from the WAN to the LAN virtual machines (port 80) that it doesnt reach my virtual machines.

Thinking that it might be a firewall problem i tried i different server outside the scope of ESXi and this works fine.

I really hope somebody can help met sort out what the problem can be.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

is the routing rules correctly on pfsense? i believe it's all on pfsense settings. also what is the gateway define in the VM of Local LAN it has to be pfsense IP.

0 Kudos
bornsilly
Contributor
Contributor

The routing rules are correct and the gateway is setup correctly as well. If i update the rule to access a standalone server (not a virtual machine) then it works perfectly.

0 Kudos