VMware Cloud Community
Tpyrc
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 6.5 Trunking to Juniper switch

I have recently upgraded from ESXI 5.1 to EXXI 6.5.  On the 5.1 system, I had an OpenBSD firewall that was setup with VLANs add worked with no issues connecting to a trunk port on a  Juniper EX2200.  Now with the new 6.5 system, I have tried a number of things to try and get this to work, but for some reason, it just doesn't.  I had set VMNIC5 to vlan 4095 to cover all vlans, and the trunk port is set for vlans 1, 10, and 999.  Please let me know if you need more information, or if you have an idea of what I might be missing. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Tpyrc 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere vNetwork Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There are basically no differences between ESXi 5.1 and 6.5 regarding the VLAN configuration.
Just to rule this out, can you confirm that the physical switch port is up (i.e. not disabled), and the cable is connected? I'm asking because of the white icon on vmnic5, which I'd expect to be green.

André

0 Kudos
Tpyrc
Contributor
Contributor

The reason the link was white and not green is I needed to roll back to my old ESXi server so that my network was active.  When I plug the trust port into the switch the link is live and shows traffic.  When I plug in the untrust port the firewall will get a public IP and the other vlan10, and vlan999 are showing 1000 FULL duplex. Please let me know if you require anything further.

0 Kudos