VMware Cloud Community
techdozor
Contributor
Contributor

ESX to access The vSphere Distributed Switch (VDS)

Hello!

I understand that VDS essentially a virtual network layer that provider inner communication between the VMs, however I was curious whether ESX has access to that info?

Specifically, if I have a *service* that is being exposed out one of the VMs that is on the internal network via VDS but not external (the rest of the network where ESX accesses services like NTP, storage, etc.). Is there anyway to configure/route so if a VM exposes a service it can be used by the ESX server but the communication would take place on VDS?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - No what you are looking for is not possible - You will have to provide a router that is configure with the route between the management network and the internal network.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
techdozor
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your quick response! That's interesting suggestion, but is it possible to create a route between VDS network LAN? Let's say it is not NTP but perhaps something more sophisticated like storage for example. I have a storage appliance that I would like to expose a LUN via iSCSI, but remain all the traffic internal to that particular ESX server (i.e. not to go back on the LAN and back, but stay within the internal network but so ESX server can see it as a LUN). Have you ran into something like that before?

0 Kudos