VMware Cloud Community
quasimonto
Contributor
Contributor

Do different NIC vendors pose a problem?

Hi Guys,

we are on VI2.5 and ESX 3.5 now. Soon we are going to update to vSphere and vServer 4. Currently we run the esx servers with IntelPro/1000 PT Quad Port network cards. We also use new servers and they have an integrated quad port Broadcom adapter.

Is it going to be a problem to mix different network ports in one vSwitch? so, having a intelpro port and a broadcom port in on vSwitch?

Will the VM's notice the hardware change? Probably i need to update the vmnics anyway...

Thanks for you help.

cheers

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - as longs a both are supported there should ee no issues having them on the same virtual switch - I have done it many times -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

As long as the NIC's are within the HCL for the ESX/ESXi4 you won't have any issues. I've also configured servers that had a mixture of Broadcom NIC's (onboard) and Intel Gb NIC's (PCI cards). All the NIC's were on the HCL, and function 100% properly. If you're getting brand new servers, and have any doubts, have your vendor rep confirm the configuration with technical/support resources at his/her company to ensure you have 100% compatibility with ESX/ESXi 4.

VCP4

0 Kudos
quasimonto
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

thanks for your answers. that was a big help.

couldnt find that info in whitepapers or other docs.

0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert

you will most likely not see problems, but design it to be safe. I've heard of people having problems with Flow Control using NICs from different vendors.

Here is a design example of mine that takes into account the different vendors to keep them separated and safe during operations:

vSphere NIC Design

0 Kudos