vSphere vNetwork

View Only
  • 1.  Distributed Switch upgrade issues

Posted Sep 18, 2021 01:17 PM

Hi. We are currently in the process of upgrading our VDS from v7.0.0 to v7.0.2 and have done about 5 so far and we stumbled on this in the documentation.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-330A0689-574A-4589-9462-14CA03F3F2F4.html

which gives this bit of scary advice.

The upgrade of a distributed switch causes the hosts and virtual machines attached to the switch to experience a brief downtime. For more information, see KB 52621

Looking at this KB it is referencing a specific version, so I am confused whether we need to stop our VDS upgrades now as I have just gotten lucky so far and re-think this.

If you look at the v6.5 documentation it says the VDS upgrade causes no issues, the issues and this warning started appearing in the v6.7 documentation so I am very confused what is going on. Thanks,,,

• 2.  RE: Distributed Switch upgrade issues

Posted Sep 20, 2021 05:55 AM

I was leery myself when I upgraded mine. Maybe with large environments there is a noticeable outage time, but for mine it seemed instantaneous. Of course be sure to export it just in case.

--Alan--