VMware Cloud Community
McJJJ
Contributor
Contributor

DirectPath I/O Clarification

I'm trying to figure out that if I enable DirectPath I/O for a network adapter, is that adapter available to be used by more than one VM? The documentation isn't very clear to me, but it gives the impression that it's basically a 1-to-1 mapping (i.e. only one VM would be able to use that network adapter after DirectPath I/O is enabled).

I have one VM that will require DirectPath I/O to be enabled for a network adapter so that it can access some of the hardware features, and I'm wondering if I do that, can that network adapter be used by other VMs (or anything else), once DirectPaht I/O is enabled for that adapter?

Currently, the ESXi hosts have 2 10 GB network adapters, and if I need to configure one for DirectPath I/O, does that then mean that network adapter is no longer available for anything else (i.e. it would no longer be available in it's current capacity to provide network services to VMs)?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@McJJJ 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere vNetwork Discussions since this is not a function of NSX.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @McJJJ

You were correct on everything you said. Direct Path I/O will provide the capabilities to be presented directly to a Virtual machine by the ESXi, however when you do that you cannot use it on another VM and not even for the ESXi. 

For example, in your case, this network adapter will not be available anymore for be used into a VSS or a VDS. May I know why do you need to use Direct Path I/O in a virtual machine? Which is the use case specifically?

0 Kudos