VMware Cloud Community
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DVS & vSheild, VDR, VM-Converter

Have you noticed when using a DVS you can not import the OVF for vSheild or VDR nor can you have VM-converter P2V to a DVS port? The only way I could accomplish this was to have a traditional vSwitch to import to. My DVS is working fine otherwise. I'm using NFS, iSCSI, VMotion, FT, MGT, and Virtual Machines with no problems. All port groups are on thier own VLAN and I'm using VLAN trucking fine. It seems these products do not understand what a DVS is or maybe I have something configured wrong?

Feedback appreciated.

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
11 Replies
andreal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for letting us know. We are looking into this.

Thanks,

-Andrea

0 Kudos
andreal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I did see the same problem when trying to convert a physical machine to a VM connecting to a DVS portgroup. Will keep you posted on what we find.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
andreal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Okay this Vm-converter problem is a known issue, and it was doc'ed for GA release. This should be fixed by next release, per dev team's comments.

Relevant release notes can be found at:

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_vcc_41_rel_notes.html

Thanks,

-andrea

0 Kudos
carlosVSZ
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vShield Zones and DVS is a supported configuration. The way the vShield Zones .OVF file is imported into the inventory is by using the vSphere client 'Deploy OVF Template' functionality.

The vShield Zones .OVF files have been pre-packaged with service VM type settings and should not be deployed using the Converter product since Converter loses important settings during the conversion process.

Can you provide additional information as to what steps were taken when deploying the vShield OVF and what your setup looks like. If you have screenshots you can share I'd be happy to take a look. You can send them to ccamacho@vmware.com

0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From VC srv I did a File, Virtual Appliance, Import. That's it.

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
vSerge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you had the virtual appliance import option under file, you are not using vSphere 4.0. Are you using VC2.5 w/ ESX 3.5? vShield Zones ships with and is support by the new vSpehere 4.0 release.

0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, finally back to a vSphere VC screen. I imported vSheild and VDR from "File, then Deploy OVF Template" and point to the ovf files from VC4. During the import it fails because it does not understand a DVS port group. If I make a bogus "traditional VM vSwitch and start the same process and attach the OVF to the traditional vSwitch it works. After the import I simply switch it to the DVS port group.

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
carlosVSZ
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I was able to reproduce the 'Failed OVF Import" with the following setup:

-Traditional vSwitch with service console and vmkernel port groups <--> Physical Nic 1

-VDS with 'Servers' port group <--> Physical Nic 2

It seems that vSphere client is having trouble importing the .OVF. Adding a port group (default settings) to the traditional vSwitch allows the OVF import to happen.

We'll take a closer look at this and will keep you posted. Thank you for your feedback.

0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

andreal point out above vm-converter has this noted as an issue and will be fixed in the next release. I'm wondering if this is more an issue with traditional vswitches and DVS port groups with the add on products. vSphere VC4 is using the old converter snapin 3.x. I downloaded vm-converter 4.01, created a VM for this app, I prefer to use this one as it imports linux boxes as well. I'm hoping the next release of VC includes the newest release of vm-converter.

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
howie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For the *vCenter Integrated

Converter*, vDS is currently

not an understood object, there is also a bug that if you somehow use it, the converter mayh crash. We hope to fix this by Update 1 of vSphere 4. Again, this problem is documented in Converter vCenter integrated

product 4.1.0 release note. Like Andrea mentioned, I also heard the current plan is to add vDS support in the 2010 vCenter release, however an important disclaimer is that I am not a spokesperson for that product/team.

0 Kudos
jeffobrien
Contributor
Contributor

Just had this problem last week as well. To convert a linux physical machine we did:

-Installed Converter stand alone

-Pointed it at the linux system (could be a windows system)

-Walked through the converter wizard and configured the job

-when the job starts, the virtual machine is created a helper VM is setup, this requires an IP address, however it is not getting on the network due to the vDS

-You will see for the network adapter is a.) connected is unchecked and b.) the port group setting is blank.

-Change the port group in the pull down and check connected. The converter process should start commencing immediately.

Enjoy.

0 Kudos