VMware Cloud Community
adamwiso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DSCP Tagging on VDS/vDPG

Hi All-

I had a couple questions and was hoping someone could chime in on a few concepts around the L3 DSCP tags within VMWare virtual distributed switch (ENT + Licensing as well).  We have an application that basically needs to have some DSCP tags honored within the network topology.  This already has been created on all physical networking gear, however they are being stripped out somewhere and as of now looks like in the virtual switch or port group.  Is this possible(?), reason I ask is my understanding that the VDS and port groups were only L2 and doing no routing/L3.  So my initial understanding is it should honor the tag, looks like that is not happening.

I know I can turn on tagging on the virtual port groups as well as on the uplink port groups.  What makes more sense to do, or do you need to do both?  I have looked over all VMWares documentation and nothing really explains the difference.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.   

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adamwiso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In case anyone runs into this - I ended up figuring it out.  If you are honoring a L3 QoS tag, VMWare does nothing with it, they only handle L2 on the VDS/VDPG - it is all handled on the physical infrastructure.  We had missed a configuration on an interface.  When using L3 DSCP tags you have to do nothing within VMWare. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
adamwiso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In case anyone runs into this - I ended up figuring it out.  If you are honoring a L3 QoS tag, VMWare does nothing with it, they only handle L2 on the VDS/VDPG - it is all handled on the physical infrastructure.  We had missed a configuration on an interface.  When using L3 DSCP tags you have to do nothing within VMWare. 

0 Kudos