VMware Cloud Community
kappyninewood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Currently have a flat network

We are going to be breaking up our network here in the near future by creating seperate VLANS, but right now we have a flat network. My ESXi host are all in the same 192.16.1.x private range. My question is since all my servers are also in the same range, can I just add my servers to the same vSwitch as my ESXi hosts? If so, why not? I will obvirouly change this in the future, but wondering what impact it would have now...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, you could indeed do that. In fact this is quite common in testing enviroments, but it is recommended to segment traffic using vlans and keep their management traffic separate from their virtual machine traffic. There are many good reasons for doing this, not least for security purposes.

You could still do this using a single vswitch and set up vlan tagging, but it is preferable to split it out over different vswitch/physical nic.

Regards,

Ian

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, you could indeed do that. In fact this is quite common in testing enviroments, but it is recommended to segment traffic using vlans and keep their management traffic separate from their virtual machine traffic. There are many good reasons for doing this, not least for security purposes.

You could still do this using a single vswitch and set up vlan tagging, but it is preferable to split it out over different vswitch/physical nic.

Regards,

Ian

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos