VMware Cloud Community
malhareth1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Creating VLANs using one nic on standard vSwitch on esx4.0

How I can configure two different VLANs using one NIC to separating VMotion network and service console which implemented on one virtual switch

configuringon virtual switch and physical switch

I need help on this, any one can help me

Regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcoem to the Forums - You will need to create a vmkernel port enabled for vmotion and assigned the approriate vlan and a service console port assigned with its own vlan port - you will also need to make sure the port you are connecting to on the physical switch is configured as a trunk port so it can recognize the vlans -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
malhareth1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did that two port group

VMkernel port group with VLAN ID

Service Console port Group with different VLAN ID

and the physical Nic connected to physical switch and configure the physical port as trunk port

but after that I am trying to ping the Service console when connect to its VLAN but I couldn't ping it

and I don't know what the missing

0 Kudos
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please provide your switch configuration for the port you are connecting to. Also, can you ping your default gateway? If not, is it a L3 switch interface (is it provisioned/configured), or a router (is it correctly attached to the VLAN with a defined IP on that network)?

JP

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.
0 Kudos
malhareth1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can ping the Default gateway

but I can't ping the Service console IP or its network

Regards

0 Kudos
sfonten
Contributor
Contributor

i seem to be having the same issue

any update?

0 Kudos
chilow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is your native vlan on your physical switch port the same as the vlan you assigned to the SC?

-C

0 Kudos