VMware Cloud Community
pradew
Contributor
Contributor

Create LAN on cluster

Hi,

I create cluster (HA enable, DRS enable, vSAN enable, create Distributed Switch) with 3 host (ProLiant BL460c Gen9) all work fine.

I have vm Mikrotik on cluster and have 2 network interface(WAN and LAN) i create on Distributed Switch new port group DLAN and set VLAN type - VLAN
VLAN ID - 20
and asignet to interface Mikrotik LAN.
If Mikrotik and other virtual mashine findingi on same host, but if on differents host not work.

Is there a way to configure it to work even when the machines are on different hosts?

Example:
Host1
 - Mikrotik - WAN connect to port group VM Network, LAN connect to port group DLAN and run DHCP
 - VM1 - connect to port group DLAN and have ip address from Mikrotik DHCP
Host2
 - VM2 - connect to port group DLAN and not work network
Host3
 - VM3 - connect to port group DLAN and not work network

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
markey165
Expert
Expert

This sounds like a network configuration problem. If it can't talk across hosts, i would probably start by looking at your VLAN configuration. Not in VMware, but at the switch level for all 3 hosts. Get a copy of the switchport configuration for ALL ESXi hosts from your network team and document it. Look for any differences.

Is the port type set to Trunk or Access? If it is configured as a Trunk port, the switch config needs to tag VLAN 20 to the hosts interface(s) in order to pass traffic for that VLAN.

You can get some visibility of possible mis-configuration via your Distributed switch Healthcheck tool. To enable this, Select your vDS and go to Configure → Healthcheck → Edit, then set the VLAN and MTU state to Enabled. This will monitor your host configuration and alert you to any mismatch with the switch config, particularly for VLANs.

Also check Subnet masks and Gateways are 100% correct.