VMware Cloud Community
bheusmann
Contributor
Contributor

Create LACP for vSphere hosts

I want to migrate from just multiple active NIC's assigned to my vSphere Port Groups to utilize LACP in both vCenter as well as my 3750G switch. I've run into a bit of a snag getting the switch to work properly, trying to figure out if it's the configuration on the vSphere side or the switch side. Currently I'm using all vDS (no local vSwitch), 2 total hosts in a cluster. I have 3 NIC's from each host assigned to a Uplink port group. I have 3 UPG's for my INT_LAN Distributed Port Group. To prepare to move to LACP, I modified the uPG and removed the 2 & 3 from active adapters to unused. Then I modified host settings and added the physical NIC's that were just removed to the LACP group. Then modified Port Group to put the LACP as a standby adapter. That has all been pretty straight forward. The VLAN settings on the INT_LAN Port Group is not set, as the interfaces on the switch are set to switchport access. I'm not sure if this is correct or having them as trunk ports is the best.

I modified the interfaces on the 3750 in a range that I was going to assign to the OACP group, set to default and shut first, then adjusted to swticport access vlan 10, added to channel-group 1 mode active. Only 2 of the 4 interfaces that I'm adding to the etherchannel, show P, the other 2 are suspended. I've changed them around a few times and it's weird because sometimes it will show the 2 interfaces that originally had tag P are now the ones that are suspended.

I only have one Port Group for the internal LAN which is the one I'm trying to do in a migration process, rather than just trying to remove all the NIC's, create the LACP, modify the interfaces on the 3750, and re-add to the new LACP as the only active interface on the INT_LAN port group. I have both hosts at vSphere 6.0.0 as well as vCenter Appliacne 6.

-BH

0 Kudos
0 Replies