VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Configuring uplinks with 4 pnics

I have 4 pnics.  I'm looking to use 2 for management, vmotion, ft and 2 for production traffic.   Should I use any kind of link aggregation?  Should I set up my uplinks in active / standby configuration?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

TheVMinator wrote:

I have 4 pnics.  I'm looking to use 2 for management, vmotion, ft and 2 for production traffic.

You will be using FT? That feature is very sensitive to having undisturbed network traffic. If you will be using FT (and not only ordinary HA) then you might want to have FT on one adapter and share management and vMotion on another.  Then the other two for VM traffic.

TheVMinator wrote:

Should I use any kind of link aggregation?

Yes, in the sense that it is the only setup that gives you redundancy. However, you will most likely want to use the Port ID NIC Teaming policy, which takes no physical switch aggregation setup.

Should I set up my uplinks in active / standby configuration?

Yes, that should be a good idea on your non-VM vSwitch.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

TheVMinator wrote:

I have 4 pnics.  I'm looking to use 2 for management, vmotion, ft and 2 for production traffic.

You will be using FT? That feature is very sensitive to having undisturbed network traffic. If you will be using FT (and not only ordinary HA) then you might want to have FT on one adapter and share management and vMotion on another.  Then the other two for VM traffic.

Sorry - actually will not be using FT

TheVMinator wrote:

Should I use any kind of link aggregation?

Yes, in the sense that it is the only setup that gives you redundancy. However, you will most likely want to use the Port ID NIC Teaming policy, which takes no physical switch aggregation setup.

OK thanks

So my 2 management NICS will be active / standby, and my two production nics will be active / active?  How many vswitches should I use?  (Using all standard switches)

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

So my 2 management NICS will be active / standby, and my two production nics will be active / active?  How many vswitches should I use?  (Using all standard switches)

Yes, active/passiv for vSwitch0 with two VMkernel adapters (Management + vMotion). Make sure to have a different IP range for vMotion, and if possible, a separate VLAN.

For vSwitch1 use active / active and keep the default Port ID nic teaming policy.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos