VMware Cloud Community
SzilagyiSandor
Contributor
Contributor

Configure trunk port on vSphere 7 Hypervisor free

Hi everyone!

I want to configure trunk port on my VMware host. I want to add more vlans to one physical interface. I read about i need to create more port groups with vlan tag. But it's not good for me, because i need more vlans on one port groups (my VM will tagging the packets).

My physical switch side is good. My VM what i want to use it is my new firewall.

How can i make it?

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've reported your thread so a moderator can move it to the area for vSphere networking, the {code} area is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can use Virtual Guest Tagging

With VGT, it becomes the guest operating system's responsibility to assign VLAN tags to its outbound traffic. The port group to which such a virtual machine is connected should be configured with VLANID 4095.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos
SzilagyiSandor
Contributor
Contributor

@amohammadimir 

My vlans:

My port groups (names):

• trunk_vlan

I want to add this vlans for one port group that i connect to my VM. My VM will tagging it (it's works fine now). What i need to configure on port groups? On Switch side i need PVID 4095 and need added the vlans which i want to access this port?

0 Kudos
SzilagyiSandor
Contributor
Contributor

@scott28tt 

Okey, thank you sir.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing. When you say "trunk" port, are you talking about a Cisco "trunk port", which is basically an 802.1Q tagged port, or a port-channel?

Anyway, what you want to do is to allow the VLANs that you need on the physical switch port, and create a virtual port group in ESXi with a VLAN-ID 4095 as amohammadimir already mentioned. This way the tagged packets will be passed to the VM.

André

0 Kudos
SzilagyiSandor
Contributor
Contributor

So on my switchport need to add untagged vlanid with 4095 and other clans which i want to enable that port need to be set tagged? 

0 Kudos