VMware Cloud Community
hnehlsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cisco Nexus Config...

Hi all!

I know a lot has been wirtten about the Cisco Nexus 1000v switch ( I've read a lot about it but I still need some help/directions). I know how a distributed vSwitch works and more or less what one can do with it. But I don't get the Nexus thing to work.

Situation:

I want to configure the Cisco Nexus 1000v switch on two esx servers with two physical nics each. One of them, vmnic0, stays with the legacy switches because the service console, vmkernel and most of the vms must stay there. I configured the VEM according to the documentation the dvs is configured in the vcenter and once I connect ESX server to it the configuration is "broadcasted" to them. What I don't want to configure at the moment are vlans and I can't spare any more physical nics. This configuration is purely for demonstration.

Connecions are working :

-

vem(config)# show svs connections

connection vc:

ip address: 192.168.11.68

remote port: 80

protocol: vmware-vim https

certificate: default

datacenter name: Democenter

DVS uuid: 29 2a 3c 50 a6 90 7d 68-dc 80 b5 d2 0e 53 c4 00

config status: Enabled+

operational status: Connected

sync status: Complete

version: VMware vCenter Server 4.1.0 Build-258902

vem(config)#

-

But no modules show up!

-

vem(config)# show module

Mod Ports Module-Type Model Status

--- -

-

-

-

1 0 Virtual Supervisor Module Nexus1000V active *

Mod Sw Hw

--- -

-

1 4.0(4)SV1(3b) 0.0

Mod MAC-Address(es) Serial-Num

--- -

-

1 00-19-07-6c-5a-a8 to 00-19-07-6c-62-a8 NA

Mod Server-IP Server-UUID Server-Name

--- -

-

-

1 192.168.11.166 NA NA

• this terminal session

vem(config)# show module vem mapping

Mod Status UUID License Status

--- -

-

-

vem(config)#

-

Could someone point me in the right direction, may be someone has a step by step howto or something similar (not the cisco docs, read them, but they are so advanced, I suppose one needs to be ccna to understand that!).

Thanx for your help

Harro Nehlsen, Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mmehta76
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Harro Nehlsen,

Have you configured control/packet VLANs on the VSM and allowed them on the upstream switch trunk port connecting vmnic1 of the ESX. These VLANs enable the control plane connectivity between VSM and VEM components. Once the connectivity is established, the VEM will show up as a module in the VSM. Can you please provide output of following:

From VSM: 'show svs domain', "show run port-profile <uplink profile>"

From ESX: "vemcmd show card"

Munish.

0 Kudos