VMware Cloud Community
bond347
Contributor
Contributor

Cisco Display Protocol information randomly shows vmnic connect to Core and Nexus switches

Dear forum users,

Need your guys.

We installed vSphere ESXi 6.7 on Dell M1000e chassis with M630 blade and Forece10 MXL internal switch module. A few of the network cables from Force10 MXL were connected to the Cisco Catalyst and Nexus switches. The whole setup and network configuration including cabling was done by another vendor (retired).

What i noticed when i click one of the blades vmnic, under Cisco Discovery Protocol information, it randomly shows Cisco catalyst info and after a few clicks on the same vmnic, it shows Nexus information.

I'm not familiar with Dell M1000e hardware, components and configuration.

Why the same vmnic (i.e. vmnic0 or vmnic1) randomly shows both switches?

I'm sure you experienced and knows why i'm seeing the above.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
wotriga1
Contributor
Contributor

Have your network owners check for Asymmetric routing or explain if this is from deliberate firewall configuration ie it may be expected and not an issue but they need to explain exactly why you see this

0 Kudos
bond347
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

The system and network guys have moved out. My boss asked me to look into the system.

Based on the servers I'm having (M1000e / M630 / Catalyst / Nexus), have you or others seen what I'm seeing on CDP information?

Hope someone here has noticed the same.

0 Kudos