VMware Cloud Community
seamusob
Contributor
Contributor

Cisco 1000v Storage VMotion

I have read somwhere that vmotion is not supported with the VSM. I have them configured in a standby/active configuration and I was wondering whether these can be moved using storage vmotion if so would people generally recommend that the VSM's be put on local server storage rather than the san. The local server storage is sas with two drives configured as raid1

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

I have not worked with the Cisco 1000v, but are you talking about vMotion or Storage vMotion? There are two different technologies, but you use both in the text?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
seamusob
Contributor
Contributor

I meant Storage vmotion

Thanks

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

seamusob wrote:

if so would people generally recommend that the VSM's be put on local server storage rather than the san. The local server storage is sas with two drives configured as raid1.

How many hosts do you have? Even if Storage vMotion (for some reason) should not be supported it could still be a big advantage of having the VMs on the SAN, for example so they can be restarted by HA.

0 Kudos
seamusob
Contributor
Contributor

I have read that HA is not supported with the VSM's. That was Cisco's own literature. I have setup DRS affinity so they do not move from the host they are on. I have four ESXi hosts in the cluster with nas based storage and local sas 

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

seamusob wrote:

I meant Storage vmotion.

This Cisco page says that both vMotion, Storage vMotion and HA are compatible with the Nexus 1000v:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9902/qa_c67-556624.html

Q. What are the main VMware vSphere features supported by the Cisco Nexus 1000V?

A. VMware has certified the Cisco Nexus 1000V as VMware Ready Certified. The Cisco 1000V is compatible with the following features:

• VMware vMotion

• VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS)

• VMware High Availability (HA)

• VMware Storage vMotion

• VMware Fault Tolerance (FT)

• VMware Update Manager

Q. How does VMware Storage vMotion work in a Cisco Nexus 1000V environment?

A. VMware Storage vMotion works as usual in a Cisco Nexus 1000V environment. If the back-end storage is accessed from the Cisco Nexus 1000V, VMware Storage vMotion will function as expected.
Q. Can VSMs be part of a VMware vSphere high-availability cluster?
A. Yes.
0 Kudos
seamusob
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you are right I got confused it is HA VM monitoring that is recommended to be switched off

0 Kudos