VMware Cloud Community
jpl0000
Contributor
Contributor

Changing a live guests vSwitch...implications?

Hi, there

I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question. I recently discovered one of my production VMs is not on the right vSwitch. The destination switch is uplinked and functioning and both switches (the one the guest is currently on and the destination) are on the same subnet. My question is what sort of outage will occur, if any, when I switch the guest to the proper vSwitch? Should it just be some neglible packet loss? I don't want to interrupt any current connections if at all possible.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you'll probably lose a few pings.  You may want to let the application/server owners know. Or, do it after hours just in case.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assigning the virtual NIC to another port group is like unplugging and re-plugging the network cable on a physical system(maybe a bit fatster).

André

jpl0000
Contributor
Contributor

I should of thought of this before.....I just setup a quick lab environment and tried changing a guests vSwitch on the fly while the guest was active and I had an ssh connection open to it....no loss at all was noticed. I did not lose the connection. However, you are right....it's best to wait until my maintenance window to do such things but it didn't seem to have any adverse affect in my test environment.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Bascially it comes down to the speed of your network, as your switches will need to relearn the location of the MAC address belonging to your VM. As stated, it should all happen quickly, but you should really treat it as you would treat repatching a physical server as far as change control/maintenance windows go.

Regards,

Ian

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos