Josh_76
Contributor
Contributor

Change vmnic of vMotion Service

Hi Everybody

I have the following scenario:

Site "A"

- 2 ESX hosts (vSphere 5.5) in a cluster

- vSwitch0: 2  vmnics (vmnic0 and vmnic1) which are configured in teaming for Management Network (on subnet x, vmkernel port: "Management Network")

- vSwitch1: 1 separate vmnic (vmnic4) for vMotion (on subnet x, vmkernel port: "vMotion")

- vSwitch2: 1 separate vmnic (vmnic5) for FT (on subnet x, vmkernel port: "FT")

Of course, separate physical interfaces belong to each vmnics.

The task what I should achieve is, to release the physical interfaces of vmnic4 and vmnic5 in order can be use these interfaces for further uplink-connections (vm port groups).

In our Headquarters (Site "B") the configuration of the ESX Hosts looks like follows:

- 2 ESX Hosts (vSphere 5.5) in Cluster

- vSwitch0: 2 vmnics (vmnic0 and vmnic1) in teaming which has 2 vmkernel portgroups:

First: "Management Network" on subnet y

Second: "vMotion and FT" on subnet y

The goal is to re-configure the ESX Hosts on Site "A" in the same way as Site "B" is configured.

In order to reach the goal, I planned the following steps on Site "A":

0. Disable HA and DRS on the cluster

1. Disconnecting network-cables from the physical interfaces which are connected to vmnic4, vmnic5

2. vSwitch0: Creating new vmkernel port: "vMotion and FT" with an IP on subnet x (with the same IP which was previously used on vmnic4)

3. Enable HA and DRS on Cluster

4. Testing vMotion.

Can you please advise me, if I should anything else at this reconfiguration take into consideration? Is there any other steps, that I should perform at the time of this change?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RahulVmware1985
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so basically your requirement is to eliminate 2 extra nics and place load on existing management nics? Did I get it correct.

0 Kudos
Josh_76
Contributor
Contributor

exactly.

0 Kudos
RahulVmware1985
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did you checked with network team on which port those cables are connected on the physical switch, i hope they are on separate port on same switch.

you using DV or standard networking?

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please also consider Checking NIC Teaming policies set across those three type of traffic (mgmt, vmotion, FT) on vSwitch0 - VMNIC0 and VMNIC1.

adjust VMNIC0 and 1 accordingly in Active/Standby/unused area.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Josh_76
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Everybody

Thanks for your replies.

Complementary informations:

Site "A"

vSwitch0: 2 vmnics (vmnic0 and vmnic1) which are configured in teaming for Management Network (on subnet x, vmkernel port: "Management Network")

vmnic0 is physically connected to Switch-A

vmnic1 is physically connected to Switch-B

...but they are connected to the same VLAN

Teaming of vmnic0 and vmnic1: each are active (so there is not configured any as standby adapter)

Site "B"

- vSwitch0: 2 vmnics (vmnic0 and vmnic1) in teaming which has 2 vmkernel portgroups:

First: "Management Network" on subnet y

Second: "vMotion and FT" on subnet y

vmnic0 is physically connected to Switch-C

vmnic1 is physically connected to Switch-D

...but they are connected to the same VLAN

Teaming of vmnic0 and vmnic1: each are active (so there is not configured any as standby Adapter) ...and all the services (MGMT, FT, VMOTION) running without any problems!

What I would like to know:

- If I add the vMotion and FT services as two additional vmkernel Ports to the vSwitch0 on Site "A", so, that "previously" (actual config) for the vMotion and FT services separate vmnics (4-5) were used on the same ESX Host, should I configure anything else on the host yet, or just to add the vmkernel ports and ready?

- Summarized: Are the upper detailed steps sufficient to the "move" of these 2 services, or should I perform additional steps?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RahulVmware1985
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In ideal senario considering standard switch.

If you need to have different Ip for Vmotion or FT.

you would need to create a different port group on vswitch0 and assign a different IP to that but make sure you have port on the physical switch also configured with that setting like enabling Ip routes or trunking on it.

in case if you want to use same IP for all communication.

just enable vmotion and FT on same vswitch 0 same port group.

in case of DV

it is possible too same things can also be done but for that you need to go to host > configuration> networking> manager virtual networking and either create a new port group there or edit existing one and use as per your convenience

Regards

Rahul

0 Kudos
Josh_76
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rahul

Thanks for your answer.

"in case if you want to use same IP for all communication.

just enable vmotion and FT on same vswitch 0 same port Group."

Yes, exactly this is my situation.

Should I understand your answer, that the steps that I mentioned upper are correct, and there are no more neccessary steps required to the change, just those, that I described?

B.R.

0 Kudos
RahulVmware1985
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I get everything correct then what u need is to setup all traffic from only those two nics and One vmkernal switch containing 2 port groups of different subnet, like you have in other DC location.

Then For that if you are using standard switch you need to make changes On all host like removing check Mark from vmotion on one port group and marking it on vmk0

Make sure you have same up range on physical switch too.

Steps can be followed what u mentioned

0 Kudos
RahulVmware1985
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Or create port group first and have ip marked from network. Once done uncheck vmotion from existing and Mark on new one, Coz removing cables etc can be done afterwards too.

0 Kudos
Josh_76
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I created a graphic just to image what I mean:

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos