VMware Cloud Community
pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot connect physical host PC to Virtual machine on Vmwave VSphere.

First,my English is not good,so please ignore me,thanks you...:)

This is my problem:

On my PC,I install VMwave Workstation,Esxi on it,and 1 VMwave VSphere 5.5.

My PC have IP 193.168.40.168

My host Esxi have IP 193.168.40.128

On my VMwave VSphere,I installed 2 CentOS virtual machine.I created 2 vlan on both 2 CentOS MV....eth0 have ip address 193.168.40.0 network ; Vlan2:11.11.1.0 with eth0.1; Vlan3:12.12.1.0 with eth0.2.

On 2 CentOS, i can ping to 193.168.40.128 and they can ping each other through vlan 1 and 2.Now,My problem is i can't ping to 193.168.40.168.Please everyone tell me why? and solution to solve this my problem.Thank you very much.

19 Replies
pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please help me....:(((

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

This may actually be a workstation question more than a vSphere networking question. In order to bridge from the Workstation networks to the vSphere networks, your Workstation networks must be setup correctly. I would search google for several sites on 'vSphere within Workstation' and the first one that shows up isInstalling ESXi 5.x in VMware Workstation | VMware Support Insider - VMware Blogs

Follow those instructions and things should work as expected.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010, 2011,2012,2013,2014

Author of the books 'VMWare ESX and ESXi in the Enterprise: Planning Deployment Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2011 Pearson Education. 'VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment', Copyright 2009 Pearson Education.

Virtualization and Cloud Security Analyst: The Virtualization Practice, LLC -- vSphere Upgrade Saga -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks you....but i have a question: why can i ping to IP address of ESXi but can't ping to IP address of my PC,although thay are same subnet.....?

0 Kudos
kumarlakshman_k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

if it is with VLAN, make sure your vSwitch of the ESX have 4095 VLAN(all VLANS), then only it can take the vlan traffic out.

Thanks & Regards,

Lakshman,VCP550

0 Kudos
pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually I did like you said,but my problem isn't solved.....I think my virtual system doesn't have a uplink to connect to physical network....please help me....I'm foolish in this field...LOL....:))

0 Kudos
kumarlakshman_k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

in vSphere go to configuration -> networking and make sure you have uplink.

if you still have the issue send the screen shot of configuration --> networking from vSphere client.

thanks & regards,

lakshman

pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

This is my networking configuration.Please analyze and give solution for my problem.

Thanks you so much

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
kumarlakshman_k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

1. you are able to ping ESX to your PC?

2. Try enabling promiscuous mode for the 'VM Network' port group, configuration->networking->properties(of vSwitch) -> 'VM Network' -> edit -> security

3. try taking tcpdump  on centos when you issue the ping command

Thanks & Regards,

Lakshman

pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks for you patience with me,but I have still question....Smiley Happy

1.How can ping from EXS to my PC?

2.I did you said

3.Uwhat should t do to take tcpdump ?

Thanks & Regards

Minh.

0 Kudos
kumarlakshman_k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

1. you can connect ESX thorough putty application or go to ESX VM console and enter ALT+F1(you should do the troubleshoot setting to enter the console )

. on ESX Console, press F2 to enter the system menu

. select the troubleshooting mode options and enable the shell and other options

2. this is through vSphere client, this is from the same page from where you took the networking screen shot.

3. on GOS VM, identify the interface, say eth0

tcpdump -i eth0 (this will give the in and out packets from this interface)

Thanks & Regards,

Lakshman

pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

1.I can't ping to PC from my ESX,this is my problem in this topic

3.I see that the tcpdump command need much time to execute,right?

Thanks and regard

0 Kudos
pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And now,I dont trust in my eye....when i run ifconfig command,i see eth0.1 and eth0.2 's IP lost automatically,this make me can not understand what happen.

Did you see this before,Laskman? Please help me.

0 Kudos
kumarlakshman_k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

you will lost the IP if you restarted the network service or rebooted the VM if you have configured using ifconfig cmd.

what I will suggest is start without VLAN(i.e first try pinging with eth0) so that you are will be sure that your config works fine.

Thanks & Regards,

Lakshman

0 Kudos
pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

DO you mean i should delete eth0.1 and eth0.2 and then ping?

Thanks and Regards,

Minh

0 Kudos
kumarlakshman_k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No need to delete eth0.1 and eth0.2 just check first you are able to ping with eth0 IP.

because you are running on nested environment first try the simple ping, once it work fine then you can look into the VLAN traffic.

Thanks & Regards,

Lakshman

0 Kudos
pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,nice to meet you again Lakshman

I still have a question:

What is relationship between eth0 on centOS VM and pNIC on PC ? Are they same in the meaning? (I think this is a stupid question,sorry....^^!)

Thanks and Regards.

Minh 

0 Kudos
kumarlakshman_k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

the eth0 on the centOS VM is the virtual NIC which is needed to connect to the virtual switch on the ESX so that VM traffic will reach the vSwitch but from vSwitch you need a up link which will take the traffic to your actual network, this uplink is pNIC.

Thanks & Regards,

Lakshman

0 Kudos
pisceslight1993
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have this topology

untitled5.jpg

2 VM are installed all ESXi...does this eth1 connect to pNIC on my PC through vSwitch ,right?....how do i configure this eth1 to make it connect vs uplink ? so i can connect Router to pSwitch with VLANs on it?(I used quagga to make 2 Router).....Sorry my bad English....:))

Thanks and Regards.

Minh.

0 Kudos
kumarlakshman_k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

For any configuration of uplink/pNIC for a vSwitch you can do it from vsphere client-> configuration -> networking.  here go to particular vSwitch and you can do the settings

for any virtual interface of VM -> edit setting -> go to virtual interface -> in right you will have drop down option you can select the vSwitch.

Thanks & Regards,

Lakshman

0 Kudos