VMware Cloud Community
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can't change SC NIC duplex setting

After installing ESX 4.1, the Service Console NIC is set to 100/Half, on what I'm told should be a 100/Full connection. When I try to change it, I get this error: Call "HostNetworkSystem.UpdatePhysicalNicLinkSpeed" for object "networkSystem-55" on vCenter Server "blank.blank.com" failed.

Operation failed, diagnostics report: Operation not permitted: Operation not permitted.

And this is from vmkernel log on host:

Sep 28 10:42:01 vmkernel: 0:18:31:37.343 cpu16:4326)<3>nx_nic[vmnic0]: Setting operations Not permitted
Sep 28 10:45:27 vmkernel: 0:18:35:03.462 cpu4:4100)<4>hpsa0: Device:C0:T0:L0 IllegalRequest.

I am an Aministrator in vCenter.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

have you try to do this from console "esxcfg-nics -s 1000 -d half vmnicX" and restart vmware mgmt service?

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just tried it (with 100/Full not 1000/Half), Operation not permitted. I'm wondering if it really is a half duplex port (it's in a lab). Maybe I should break out the fluke.

0 Kudos
Flapoly
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm facing exactly the same issue. I can not change the speed/duplex settings of some network interfaces (ie the one that are on themother board of the servers), while I can do it on the extra nic (PCI card).

Switch ports are all configured on the same way

I'm also running ESXi4.1 with latest fixes.

Have you been able to adress this issue ?

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mine was 4.1 (not i). We ended up moving it to another port and it was fine - so in our case it was the port, don't know if that's the case with yours of course.

0 Kudos
Flapoly
Contributor
Contributor

We face the issue only on the Nics part of the motherboard (QLogic base nic).

Others Nic installed on PCI slot work as expected.

PS: Using the lastest driver didn't address the issue

0 Kudos
DaPrince
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I face the same problem.  I can change some of the network interfaces, but not all. But the error message is the same. Did you find a solution?

(ESX 4.1, Essentials Plus)

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

we are seeing the same issue? what is the problem here? any one has idea?

0 Kudos
Kopp
Contributor
Contributor

The same problem by me...

ESXI 4.1 b348481

Server: HP DL370 G6

NIC: HP NC375i (Quad port branded Qlogic card)

Could any one give a small feedback, who was able to solve it ?

Thx a lot

JK

0 Kudos
Kopp
Contributor
Contributor

The reason for this issue was an old NX driver for Qlogic NICs.

Solution:

I used newest driver from HP page: "VMware ESX/ESXi 4.x Driver CD for QLogic Intelligent Ethernet Adapters - v4.0.585 31.Mrz 2011"

Than extracted this ISO (vmware-esx-drivers-net-nx-nic_400.4.0.585-1vmw.2.17.00000.370920.iso) with winrar, copied the ZIP-file from offline-bundle\ntx-nx_nic-4.0.585-164009-offline_bundle-370920.zip to the esxi host and installed it with following command:

/tmp/offline-bundle #  esxupdate --bundle=ntx-nx_nic-4.0.585-164009-offline_bundle-370920.zip update

After reboot I was able to change Link/Speed setting on all of vmnic's!

PS: It seems that the nic driver AND the firmware was updated:

BEFORE:
~ # ethtool -i vmnic0
driver: nx_nic
version: 4.0.570
firmware-version: 4.0.527

AFTER:
~ # ethtool -i vmnic0
driver: nx_nic
version: 4.0.585
firmware-version: 4.0.544

So long...

J.Kopp

0 Kudos
rrusin
Contributor
Contributor

qlogic builded up new driver for QLogic adapters:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/dt_esxi_4u2_41_qlogic_40721/ZHcqYnR3aHBiZCpwcA==

version: 4.0.721

but  if you add this driver to baselines and you will apply to ESX hosts  with NetXen HP NC375i adapters, says drivers are updated already...

it seems drivers are only for qlogic adapters and not for netxen...altrought it is the same... Smiley Happy

btw. if you configures switch ports speed 1Gbps and full duplex, adapters are fully functional...

just we need 100 full and then you will always get 100 half on your adapters and not full duplex. Smiley Sad

and the last threat...if you update NetXen HP NC375i adapters with driver version 4.0.585 your adapters gone from "Network Adapter List"!!! :smileyangry:

so keep your adapters on version 4.0.570.

We are using HP DL580 G7 and HP ESXi 4.1.0. release 381591

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am on vacation. I will return August 1. Please contact my manager Chris Bridges with any issues.

Thanks,

Russell Sinclair

0 Kudos
rrusin
Contributor
Contributor

The latest driver from qlogic helps

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/dt_esxi40_qlogic_p3_10g/ZHcqYnQldGRiZGgqag

It is possible to change NIC speed and duplex.

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos