VMware Cloud Community
1ppInc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't Remove Host from dvSwitch

Hey There,

I had a dvSwitch with two hosts on it and I'm trying to remove it completely. I was able to remove one of the hosts from the dvSwitch with ease... however, the other one just won't budge.

I recieve an error stating: "Cannot complete a Distributed Virtual Switch operation for one or more host members. DVS operation failed on host2, error during the configuration of the host: DVPort "1421" on DVSwitch "DvsPortset-0" is still in use: got (vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault) exception.

Now... There is no port "1421" on the dvSwitch. All port groups have been removed. "Everything" has been removed from the dvSwitch...

Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to prevent a reboot at all costs, but if necessary I will take it down late evening.

Thanks!

22 Replies
sg222
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update:

Dumb "trick":

I migrated vms to the problem host. The host did not get the right port groups of these vms and showed "invalid backing" and no portgroup available in drop down (vm-settings) on host.

To update the host i had to use the vcenter:

- open settings of a vm already running on problem host

- select the network card

- open the drop down to select the portgroup and select the correct portgroup (again, as it was already active) !

- vcenter marks this as a change in configuration and "deploys" the new config to the underlying host

result:

- the problem host was now aware of all portgroups which i reactivated in vm-settings and showed up the right dvswitch-settings. I had to repeat the process for one vm in each portgroup (not all vms) and after that - all vms were shown up right!

dumb, but worked fine for me... damn dvswitch.

new update: the problem host knew that he has a distributed vswitch, and it worked all fine, all vms were online. But it did not get the whole list of portgroups of the dvswitch from vcenter. The vcenter did not push the whole configuration onto the esx host.

I had to migrate one vm out of each portgroup onto the problem host and repeat the procedure in vcenter - confirming its portgroup by reselecting it and confirm config clicking ok. After that the vcenter pushed the portgroup to the problem host. That dvswitch still has a lot of issues concerning vcenter connectivity.

0 Kudos
spennell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After spending the last two hours trying to gracefully remove a host from a vDS this is what did the trick.

0 Kudos
Klyborg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very helpful. Thanks for this.

One note, we actually had to delete the vmkernel adapter on that dvswitch, disconnect host, reconnect host, and then hit remove on the dvswitch again (still receiving error), and then it just fell off.

After that we were able to add the dvswitch back to the host.

0 Kudos