VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Best Design for 6 x 1Gb NICs and 4 Port Groups

I have 6 x 1Gb NICs to work with.  These are on half-height blades.  2 of the NICs are onboard.  4 of the NICs are provided through a Single Mezzanine card.

Here are the traffic types I need to split up among the NICs:

-Backup traffic

-Vmotion Traffic

-Management Traffic

-Production virtual machine traffic

What is the best design for this scenario, given that if the mezzanine card fails, I lose 4 out of the 6 NICs?

How many port groups should I use?

Which port groups should go on which NICs?

How many NICs should go to a given port group?

Your suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HeathReynolds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage is FC on the other MEZ?

Onboard 1 - Active MGMT, Standby vMotion

Onboard 2 - Active Production Traffic

Mez 1 - Backup Traffic

Mez 2 - Backup Traffic

Mez 3 - Active Production Traffic

Mez 4 - Active vMotion, Standby Management

If you backup traffic is initiated by more than one IP / virtual port ID you could use two interfaces as active for backup, otherwise you could just use one for backup and use the other for multi-nic vMotion or an additional production traffic interface depending on the workload patterns. I think the big think is you want give MGMT and Production traffic the ability to take either the onboard or the mez card.

My sometimes relevant blog on data center networking and virtualization : http://www.heathreynolds.com
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Good thoughts.  Thanks for the input.  Yes that is right - storage is on the other mezzanine card.  I think I came up with one slight improvement.  What I did is move backup traffic from mez 2 to mez 3.  That way both backup traffic ports are not on the same mezzanine card.  Here is what I came up with:

Onboard 1 - Active MGMT, Standby vMotion

Onboard 2 - Active Production Traffic

Mez 1 - Backup Traffic

Mez 2 - Active Production Traffic

Mez 3 - Backup Traffic.

Mez 4 - Active vMotion, Standby Management

0 Kudos