VMware Cloud Community
Bionixs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Assign 2 nics to a VM.

Hey guys,  I'm setting up Microsoft Lync and I'm going to be VMing the edge server.  The edge server needs 2 nics on the server.  One coming in from the firewall that will carrying the SIP trunk data to it, and another going to the front end server where it routes, archives, etc.  Attached to this post is how i currently have it set.

vswitch.png

When i boot into the edge server (W 2008 R2) i see only one nic.  I've also tried putting both cards on 2 seperate Vm networks but i'm not sure exactly how that would work for my situtation.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Now select the Edge server VM from inventory.

select the Summary tab and then choose the option Edit Settings.

You can see one Ethernet Adapter in the hardware list. Select the adapter and change the portgroup to "VM Network3".

we have to add one more Ethernet Adapter (vNIC).

From Hardware tab click on Add.

From Add Hardware dialogue box select Ethernet Adapters and click next.

Select the portgroup "VM network4" and complete the process by clicking on Finish button.

Now the VM has two NICs connected to two networks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

we have to add two vNICs to the edge server VM, which are connected to two different portgroups.

add two nics to the VM by selecting edit settings . after adding the NIC reboot the VM, Windows should show two NICs after reboot.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your approach to connect the 2 virtual NICs to 2 VM Networks is correct. Depending on your physical network setup you either need to create 2 vSwitches with uplinks to the different subnets or - in case you use VLANs - use one vSwitch, configure the uplink ports as IEEE 802.1Q ports and assign the appropriate VLAN-ID to each of the VM port groups.

André

0 Kudos
Bionixs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could you explain that some more, i'm not that familiar with Vsphere, and if it makes an difference, i'm running vsphere essentials.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When i boot into the edge server (W 2008 R2) i see only one nic.  I've also tried putting both cards on 2 seperate Vm networks but i'm not sure exactly how that would work for my situtation

here what do you mean by the cards? is it physical adapters (vmnic1 and vmnic2) or the virutuall NICs attached to the VM?

0 Kudos
Bionixs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

physical adapters (vmnic1 and vmnic2).

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

we cant see physical adapters in the VM.

here we have to add two virtual nics to the edge server VM which are connected to two different port groups.

For that, first create two portgroups in the same vswitch (if you have separate VLANs ).

Add two vNICs to the VM.

1. right click the edge server VM.

2. select edit settings.

3. add two network cards.

3.1 connect the first NIC to the portgroup 1 and the second one to portgroup 2.

Bionixs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What if i'm not using vlans?

0 Kudos
Lee_Sargeant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry if I am misunderstanding but are you saying that you would like to add 2 vnics to a machine for 2 seperate networks that come in through 2 seperate uplinks?  If so what you need to do is create 2 seperate vswitches and assign one uplink to each vswitch.  Then you assign 2 vnics with 1 on each vswitch.  If I understand you correctly though, are you suggesting one link into your firewall DMZ and into your internal network?  If so I would suggest this is not a good idea as you will be bridging your DMZ to your internal network.

Regards,

Lee

Bionixs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You have it right, but that's how the technet information says the edge server is supposed to be setup.  Ok so i've created the 2 seperate Vswtiches:

2vs.png

It's from here that i don't really understand.  "assign one uplink to each vswitch", isn't that done already?  Where exactly do I go for the next step?

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Now select the Edge server VM from inventory.

select the Summary tab and then choose the option Edit Settings.

You can see one Ethernet Adapter in the hardware list. Select the adapter and change the portgroup to "VM Network3".

we have to add one more Ethernet Adapter (vNIC).

From Hardware tab click on Add.

From Add Hardware dialogue box select Ethernet Adapters and click next.

Select the portgroup "VM network4" and complete the process by clicking on Finish button.

Now the VM has two NICs connected to two networks.

0 Kudos