VMware Cloud Community
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are (different) port groups with matching VLAN ID in a switch in the same broadcast domain?

In the following topology:

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 21.07.31.png

zbridgeprivate and zbridgepublic have no ID (or ID zero) set. Does that mean they're in the same broadcast domain even if there's no uplink to bind them to the "physical" infrastructure where they couldn't escape this?

From the docs I know this is a valid design, I just don't know the what's interconnectivity situation. 🙂 Or if it would apply to vDSes, bc there's basically no mention of it. For instance, in a vDS with no uplinks, would a distributed port group work in another host--this time I mean the same port group not only the VLAN(s) it carries.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@vitaprimo 

Connect a VM to “private” and another VM to “public”, they will be in the same broadcast domain as one another.

Their traffic cannot leave the physical host as their switch has no uplink.

What is your use case, or the behaviour you are trying to achieve?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos