VMware Cloud Community
rarebear_nm
Contributor
Contributor

Add second nic & vswitch to VM client

I need to add a second network connection to a VM.

I have Vsphere 4.1 client and VMware ESX 4.1 configured.  The host has 4 physical NICs.  I'm presently using only one. The guest OS is CentOS 6.2 and it is installed and running fine so far using the first vswitch/nic.

In the Vsphere Client I selected the host > Configuration > Add Networking.  The graphics shows vSwitch1 (the one I'm adding) being connected to vmnic1 and isat 100 full.  The patch cable is plugged in.  The graphics shows a new VM Port Group associated with the physical NIC.

In Vsphere I selected the VM of interest > Edit Settings > Add > selected Ethernet Adapter.  It went through the adding notice and it now shows up in the VM's Hardware list with the first Network Adapter.

So far I think its OK?

The real questions, assuming what I've done is correct, is:

1. How to loggicaly get the guest VM to show a linkage to this new vSwitch in the Host > Configuration screen?

2. Within the guest OS, CentOS 6.2, the system is not showing ifcfg-eth1 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  What do I need to do to complete the guest configuration for this connection?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rarebear_nm
Contributor
Contributor

I got part 2 solved.

Did ifconfig -a  That showed the MAC address and just create a new ifcfg-eth1 file and then ifup eth1 works  fine.  It can ping itself.

I'm still looking for how to complete question 1: associate the guest VM with the portgroup and physical NIC?

0 Kudos
vogie563
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Under host, configuration, networking you can see what VM's are associated with what port groups. If you need more information edit the VM and look at each network adapter, here you will see what port group is in use and what MAC is assigned. You can use this to verify the NIC in your guest. Normally they add in order Network Adapter 1 = eth0, Network Adapter 2 = eth1, etc.

For the guest VM to physical NIC on the host, again this is shown under Host, Configuration Networking. This will show the NIC's associated with the vSwitch. Sounds like you have one NIC on the vSwitch, for redudancy you may want to add at least one more.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you goto Host-Configuration-Networking, You should see 2 vSwicth and both vSwicth should have dedicated physical NIC, n both the vSwicth your Cent OS should be present

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos