VMware Cloud Community
Phoung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A question, and a Thank You

I would first like to say I am new to VMware, and I inherited a small system. I have read lots of books and free Youtubes videos over the month. I would say the best part though is being able to ask questions from experts on here and get good answers very quickly. I hope to one day be able to answer some myself, but as of now I would not like to give a wrong answer by mistake. So I hope my lack of answering questions on here is understanding to people.Though I feel I have learned a lot in a month reading and watching free training videos.

My one small question now is that I have a reliable VMware 5.1 setup, I am starting to move to VMware 5.5. I have already moved to the vCenter 5.5 Appliance. I would say I am very happy to be off the vCenter 5.1 on Windows because I do not have to deal with that Windows and Database systems anymore, and I am small enough for Appliance.

The system I inherited is Distributed Switch. When I install my new ESX host at v5.5 in the Cluster, there will no issues for the Distributed Switch to work with it, since I notice my Distributed Switch is v5.1? I have read in the documentation that after all your Hosts are at v5.5, it is at that point that you move your Distributed Switch to v5.5.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

good to hear you like the forums Smiley Wink

your 5.1 distributed switch will continue to work with your ESXi 5.5 and vCenter 5.5

New network functions will of course only be usable when you uprade the VDS to 5.5 as well: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMware-Whats-New-in-VMware-vSphere-Networking.pdf

As you read correctly in the documentation, when your vCenter and all your ESXi hosts are version 5.5, you can upgrade the VDS itself to 5.5.

It's a non-disruptive upgrade, so there will be no downtime for hosts or VMs during the upgrade.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

good to hear you like the forums Smiley Wink

your 5.1 distributed switch will continue to work with your ESXi 5.5 and vCenter 5.5

New network functions will of course only be usable when you uprade the VDS to 5.5 as well: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMware-Whats-New-in-VMware-vSphere-Networking.pdf

As you read correctly in the documentation, when your vCenter and all your ESXi hosts are version 5.5, you can upgrade the VDS itself to 5.5.

It's a non-disruptive upgrade, so there will be no downtime for hosts or VMs during the upgrade.

Tim

0 Kudos
Phoung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much sir. I gave you a correct answer Smiley Happy

0 Kudos