VMware Cloud Community
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A Couple of Newbie Questions

As the subject indicates, I am new to ESXi.  I have it running but I have 2 questions that I can't find answers for (I'm probably looking in the worng places for the answers);

1) When I connect to the ESXi host, I am prompted telling me that the evaluation license will expire in 60 days.  I have a license (the free ESXi license) but I cannot find any place to provide it to the host from within vSphere.  How do I apply it so that it stops prompting me and, more importantly, doesn't expire in 60 days?  The link on the prompt just takes me to a web page where I can download an eval copy of ESXi - which is kind of odd.

2) The machine I have ESXi runnin on has 3 nics; one on the motherboard and two in expansion slots.  But, ESXi only recognizes one of them.  I assume that this is a driver issue but I cannot firgure out where I get the drivers from or how I install them.  Can this be done from within vSphere or do I have to do it from the console?  I didn't see anywhere in the console that would allow me to install drivers, either.

Thanks

Bert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1)

1. Log in to the ESX/ESXi host using vSphere Client.
  2. Click the Configuration Tab.
  3. Click Licensed Features under Software.
  4. Click Edit under Licensed Features.
  5. Select Assign a new license key to this host.
  6. Press Enter and enter the License Key.
  7. Click OK.

2) 95% of the time, if its not recognized, there isn't a driver and you need a supported card.  What is the exact make and model of the cards that are no showing up?

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1)

1. Log in to the ESX/ESXi host using vSphere Client.
  2. Click the Configuration Tab.
  3. Click Licensed Features under Software.
  4. Click Edit under Licensed Features.
  5. Select Assign a new license key to this host.
  6. Press Enter and enter the License Key.
  7. Click OK.

2) 95% of the time, if its not recognized, there isn't a driver and you need a supported card.  What is the exact make and model of the cards that are no showing up?

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Matt.  I got the license installed so that part is perfect.

I'm not sure what the make and model os the nic is off the top of my head.  I will have to open the box up and have a look later on.  When I get it apart, I'll let you know.

Bert

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have one more question, this time about iSCSI.  I set up an iSCSI target on a Windows 2012 box that I would like the ESXi box to use.  But, when I try to configure the iSCSI initiator in vSphere under "Static Discovery", I get the error:

Call "HostStorageSystem.AddInternetScsiStaticTargets" for object "storageSystem" on ESXi "esx01" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report: iScsiLibException: status(c0000000): Invalid parameter; Message= IMA_AddStaticDiscoveryTarget

I am running a 1G nic so speed shouldn't be a problem.  If I set up the target under "Dynamic Discovery", it accespts the discovery but when I scan the target, it finds no drives.

Bert

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You should typically set up the iSCSI target as "dynamic" since you do not have to enter the target IQN name manually.

Have you configured the Windows 2012 iSCSI target to accept either the IP or the IQN  of the ESXi to be allowed access?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is the IQN what vSphere is looking for in the name field?  It doesn't say so I just put in the name of the target that Windows has.  The help associated with that page says nothing, either.

Yes, I did add the ESXi's ip address to the target's allowed list. I am having some other issues with that target (other Windows boxes can't see the target either but some can) so I don't know at this point if the problem is with Windows or ESXi.  I just wanted to be sure that I set my ESXi box up correctly to access a drive via iSCSI.

Bert

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

We should be able to get these to connect.

Could you put a screenshot of the networking tab of ESXi and the storage adapter with iSCSI software?

And also screenshots of the configuration of the Windows 2012 iSCSI target.

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere.JPG

iSCSI.JPG

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Could you also post the Properties on the target, where you can see the allowed initiators?

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Initiators.JPG

I was thinking that I should try adding the ESXi box by ip address as well just to see if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The IQN looks correct, but you should only have the ESXi host as allowed initiator.

Is the IP networks setup ok? Can you ping the target server from the ESXi host (through ESXi shell)?

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I removed the first entry (HyperV05).  It is actually the machine hosting the iSCSI target anyway.

I have a small network with only a single subnet so every machine can reach every other machine.  I'm not sure how to get into the ESXi shell (I did figure out how to enable it, just ot how to access it) but I ran a management network test that pinged a few ip addresses.  I changed one of the addresses to the iSCSI host and it reported that it pinged it OK.

Bert

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

BertP wrote:

I changed one of the addresses to the iSCSI host and it reported that it pinged it OK.

That is good, this means you have connectivity and the access looks ok too. Do you enter the Windows 2012 IP in the Dynamic Discovery tab? After this you should be able to see the target IQN in the Static tab.

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been using the FQDN ogf the iSCSI server but I just replaced it with the ip address and there was no change.  Also, the IQN does not show up in the "Static Discovery" tab.

Bert

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is it possible that you have mistyped the ESXi IQN on the target access control?

Could you try change to instead use the IP address for access in the Windows 2012 target settings?

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I didn't type the IQN in, I just did a copy and paste.  I did check it afterwards, though, just to be sure.

I've already used the IQN, IP Address and DNS Name.  The only thing I didn't use is the MAC Address.  However, something odd happened this evening on a Windows 2012 box.  Like the ESXi box, I couldn't get this Windows box to recognize the fact that there is a drive at the iSCSI target.  I had used the Windows machine's IP Address and DNS Name but not its IQN.  On a lark, I put its IQN in on the target and it worked immediately.

Also, I was able to create a Static Discovery record on the ESXi box by putting the iSCSI target's IQN in the Target Name field.  It wasn't intuitive and the help system here is useless but it was the only thing I hadn't ttried so I gave it a whirl.  So, I now have the iSCSI target listed in both Dynamic and Static Discovery tabs.  It still doesn't work, though 😞

Bert

OnEdit: Just to make sure I am testing htis correctly, when I make a change, I right click on the iSCSI Software Adapter and select "Rescan".  Alternatively, I may click on the "Rescan All..." link at the top right.  Is that the correct way to verify connectivity with the iSCSI host?

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

BertP wrote:

Also, I was able to create a Static Discovery record on the ESXi box by putting the iSCSI target's IQN in the Target Name field.  It wasn't intuitive and the help system here is useless but it was the only thing I hadn't ttried so I gave it a whirl.  So, I now have the iSCSI target listed in both Dynamic and Static Discovery tabs.  It still doesn't work, though 😞

You should not the Static assigned target, so I recommend you remove that to decrease the complexity of the setup.

OnEdit: Just to make sure I am testing htis correctly, when I make a change, I right click on the iSCSI Software Adapter and select "Rescan".  Alternatively, I may click on the "Rescan All..." link at the top right.  Is that the correct way to verify connectivity with the iSCSI host?

Yes, a rescan is a good thing to do after changing anything in the iSCSI software adapter. When you just click the vmhba33 (or what the iSCSI software is called in your system) do you see anything in the lower part of the screen? When everything works you should see one or more LUNs visible below.

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got rid of the static assignment but there is no change.  It is still exactly like the screen shot I posted.  Not a single LUN is listed - as far as the ESXi box is concerned, the iSCSI host has no drives available.

Bert

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is the Firewall enabled on the Windows 2012 server? It might block your iSCSI traffic, but let ICMP through.

If not, I belive it is the access control on the Target that does not allow the ESXi host to use the LUN.

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, the firewall is off and other Windows 2012 boxes are able to connect so iSCSI itself is working fine.

I didn't set up any access control because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.  After I get it working I was going to add some access control and HA but not until it started working correctly.

Bert

0 Kudos