VMware Cloud Community
thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2nd & 3rd isolation address

Is it possible to have a 2nd & 3rd isolation address that does not go through the management network default gateway?

What I am thinking is what if my network is down, but all the servers are up and are just fine and are have access to their NFS storage on a private vlan.In this case, I do not want VMs vmotioning and/or shutting down. I'd rather have them stay where they are and wait for the network to come back.

It would be nice if I could ping an ip address on either my storage network or a separate stand-alone network to verify whether the problem is just that the network my management network is on is down.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you have a couple options...secondary service consoles on a seperate network, or my personal preference is to set the isolation response to leave powered on.

In a normal host failure, the lock is released on the files and they will startup on another host. In an isolation situation, the machines are running anyhow and no other host can start them anyhow as the files are locked (ie, still running)

That poweroff and startup to me is a disaster waiting to happen.

thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, that makes sense. I tend to agree with that analysis.

But, what if I still wanted to add a second and third isolation response (and leave the vms powered ON), and I have esxi 4 hosts. Is it still possible to create additional isolation response addresses that do not use the original Management Network Gateway?

Would I need to configure a second Management Network for that?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos