VMware Cloud Community
btniko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2 single 10 GB uplinks - LACP trouble with management network

Hi -

What is VMware recommended setup for a vDS with 2 single 10 GB uplinks?

My portgroups are only VM-traffic, vMotion and Management.

I notice when enabling LACP I get trouble with the management network (host disconnects).

Please advice.

KInd r

Bjørn.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Typically it's using the default load balancing policy (route based on originating virtual port ID) or, for those with a distributed switch, load based teaming (route based on physical NIC load aka LBT).

LBT is my default go-to teaming policy, except for things like iSCSI vmk binding or some converged infrastructure scenarios as explained in this blog post.

I'm not a fan of using a link aggregation group (LAG) between a physical switch and a vSphere host. It adds complexity while offering little real world value, at the same time it eliminates the ability to use features such as iSCSI vmk binding and multi-NIC vMotion.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Typically it's using the default load balancing policy (route based on originating virtual port ID) or, for those with a distributed switch, load based teaming (route based on physical NIC load aka LBT).

LBT is my default go-to teaming policy, except for things like iSCSI vmk binding or some converged infrastructure scenarios as explained in this blog post.

I'm not a fan of using a link aggregation group (LAG) between a physical switch and a vSphere host. It adds complexity while offering little real world value, at the same time it eliminates the ability to use features such as iSCSI vmk binding and multi-NIC vMotion.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The Guru on VMware Networking has spoken, while he will not plug his own book, I will do it for him : Networking for VMware Administrators

It is a good read.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
btniko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for great answer. Really helpfull.

I have another scenario with 4 uplinks (4 single 10 GB NICs).

- 2 uplinks are used for NFS/Mgmt/vMotion traffic, and is currently on vDS1. (No LACP enabled for these portgroups).

- 2 uplinks are used for VM-traffic, and is currently on vDS1. (LACP enabled on these portgroups)

So same vDS, but LACP enabled only on VM-traffic.

What would be your recomandation here?

Kind regards

Bjørn.

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

2 uplinks are used for VM-traffic, and is currently on vDS1. (LACP enabled on these portgroups)

So same vDS, but LACP enabled only on VM-traffic.

What would be your recommendation here?

Virtual machines are often best served by the load based teaming (LBT) policy, because LACP uses a hash to determine the path taken for traffic and does not look at active load; I consider LACP to be load distribution, not balancing.

While LACP does a rather nice job at randomizing the links that VMs will use (because the VMs tend to talk to a wide variety of different destination addresses), LACP has no way of intelligently balancing load. LBT, on the other hand, will help fix lopsided traffic flows by moving VMs to a lighter utilized vmnic when a link's load exceeds 75% for 30+ seconds.

Be sure that you have the physical ports connected to your ESXi host configured as network edge ports (spanning-tree immediately moves into a forwarding state) to avoid TCNs and other nastiness, and be aware that each time LBT migrates a workload there will be an update to the MAC address table on your physical switch.

I hope that helps. I go a bit deeper into the proper configuration of LACP, and some reasons you would want to use it, in this blog post.

btniko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, thank you very much for answer.

0 Kudos