VMware Cloud Community
Anthael
Contributor
Contributor

10Gb Network adapter limitation to 1Gb

Hi

I m running the esxi 7.0.3 with an 2 network cards : 

- Intel X553 with 4 ports 1Gbe

- Intel 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port ( driver Atlantic )

During the VM creation (depending on OS selection) the adaptor select only 1gb cards

May be possible to select or force the adapter to select 10 gb ?

Thanks by advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does this have anything to do with HCX, or are you just asking about VMs hosted on ESXi?

What virtual switches and VM port groups do you have configured on your ESXi host?

Are you referring to the "speed" of the virtual NIC in the VM hardware? (ie. what you see in the guest OS)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Anthael
Contributor
Contributor

The problem seems to be on vm configuration.

The 2 physical switchs are recognized as 10 gb and defined on each SFP connectors.

On the VM configuration side: each card attached to a group is display but only 1G adapter type adapter are displayed.

See attached screen capture

Anthael_0-1649077366044.png

And from the OS the card is running only a 1G full duplex.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's a virtual adapter, the speed shown to the guest OS doesn't represent anything real, the connection to the virtual switch is all software-based.

What are you expecting to see differently and why?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos