VMware Cloud Community
natewilson
Contributor
Contributor

10 Gigabit VM Networking Questions.

I am lab testing Intel Dual Port 10 Gigabit NICs ( Intel Corporation 82598EB 10-Gigabit AT CX4 ) to assess the performance and whether I can virtualize some network dependent servers. It is working, but I am not confident I have it all working as well as it could. Some questions I have are:

- Is an individual VM throttled to 1Gbps? I get throughput to an individual VM at ~1Gbps. But, if I connect to more than one, all connected via the same 10Gig Ethernet NIC, I get several Gbps. Is there a rate limiting going on (No, I don't have any QoS defined in the vSwitch).

- In ESX3.5, you had to manually configure NetQueue, is it enabled by default in vSphere, or do I need to manually enable it? Can I view the status of the NIC features anywhere?

- Similar to the NetQueue enabling, is there a process for enabling Jumbo Frames?

Any other tips or documents for a 10Gig setup?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RenaudL
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

- Is an individual VM throttled to 1Gbps? I get throughput to an individual VM at ~1Gbps. But, if I connect to more than one, all connected via the same 10Gig Ethernet NIC, I get several Gbps. Is there a rate limiting going on (No, I don't have any QoS defined in the vSwitch).

No, the VMs can push as fast as they have CPU for (unless you use traffic shaping, obviously). The link speed shown in a guest is a dummy one.

- In ESX3.5, you had to manually configure NetQueue, is it enabled by default in vSphere, or do I need to manually enable it? Can I view the status of the NIC features anywhere?

it should be on by default I believe.

- Similar to the NetQueue enabling, is there a process for enabling Jumbo Frames?

Change the MTU of the vSwitch, change the MTU of the guest, and you're good to go.

Any other tips or documents for a 10Gig setup?

Not really, except that we recommend using paravirtualized adapters like Enhanced Vmxnet or Vmxnet3 for maximum performance.

We can easily drive mutliple Gb/s with a single VM with our setups, so there's probably a lot of room for improvement in yours.

0 Kudos