VMware Cloud Community
leeroyrichardso
Contributor
Contributor

!! vcentre 4.1 is 64 BIT ONLY !!

My decision to upgrade to version 4.1 has been taken out of my hands.

We are currently running version 4.0 esx with version 4 VCentre, was looking upgrade our second site from 3.5 to version 4.1.

Just realised in the nick of time that vcentre 4.1 is 64 bit only, as we are running 32 bit o/s that means we can upgrade to version 4.0 only.

Why make it 64 bit only?

For small organisations like ourselves less than 10 hosts we do no need 64bit os for vcentre.

Lee Richardson

Lee Richardson
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

1) Because there is no Windows Server 2008 R2 32bit

2) Because 32bit is the past, too many limits and 2GB of RAM per process is the main problem

---

MCSA, MCTS Hyper-V, VCP 3/4, VMware vExpert

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
leeroyrichardso
Contributor
Contributor

So long as vmware dont stop supporting v4.0 for the near future we will stay put.

Dont like the idea of being pushed onto yet more expensive upgrades just for the sake of it.

Lee Richardson

Lee Richardson
0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert

there is no "more expensive upgrades". If you read the release notes in the vSphere vCenter 4.0 Update 1, it said you can expect vCenter to be 64-bit only in a future release.

Please realize that in the near future, all applications will be pushing 64-bit, maybe even Microsoft Office. 64-bit brings in a lot more capability in terms of resources

0 Kudos
leeroyrichardso
Contributor
Contributor

When I am paying for the upgrade dont try telling me its not expensive.

Lee Richardson

Lee Richardson
0 Kudos
bparlier
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I saw this in one of the other posts...there is no Windows Server 2008 R2 32-bit. That being said, it kind of makes sense to go ahead and introduce 64-bit to vCenter. You mention being pushed into upgrades, do you plan on upgrading your Microsoft products in the future?

0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert

when you buy a Windows license, the choice of 32-bit and 64-bit is the same price. If you already purcahsed vSphere, then it's a free upgrade to 4.1

dang. settle down.

0 Kudos
leeroyrichardso
Contributor
Contributor

Well we are 32bit at the moment and im certainly not shelling out more cash for 64bit when we dont need it, so it will be release 4.0 and 32 bit for sometime yet.

Lee Richardson

Lee Richardson
0 Kudos
JRedmond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lee,

What is he trying to tell you is it would not cost you more for 64 bit. You can load up a new VM load up Windows 64 bit and install that way. After the migration decommission the old 32 bit VM and be done with it. Microsoft is not going to come down on you during this short grace period.

0 Kudos