VMware Cloud Community
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere vCenter Upgrade 5.0 to 5.1

I currently am running a small vSphere 5.0 system on a Dell R510 Server with 16GB of RAM and 1 TB of internal storage.

There are three VMs and one app:

• Windows 2003 Server VM running web apps
  • RHEL 6.3 Server VM using subversion
  • vCenter Server
  • VMware vMA

vCenter seems to be using about 85% of the 4 GB of RAM (since it houses the SQL Server Express DB).

I was reading over the upgrade documentation for vSphere 5.1 in preparation to upgrade to 5.1

My plan was to install the Single Sign on, vCenter Server, and Inventory Service on one VM.

However, the doc says 10GB of RAM is required for one VM when all 3 services are installed on one VM.

That leaves 6 GB of host RAM for the two other VMs and the vMA.

Is the 10GB a hard RAM requirement or would 8 GB work with such a small environment?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If its a small environment 8 GB would be fine. I have seen customer's have the 3 roles installed in a VC with 8 GB

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

8 GB will be more good for all the component of vCenter, if it is very small  setup like your.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Stan,

If you are OK to use vCenter Server Appliance , for a small inventory size the recommended RAM provisioning is  8GB, which fulfills your requirement.

Please see the Table 2-6 in documention: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-51-install...

--dGeorgey

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Deploying vCenter appliance is the correct solution for your environment...

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Minimal RAM for vCenter Server is 3GB (see documentation or minimum hardware requirements),

therefore,4GB also will work, but I am agree with others, that 8 GB is preferable.

Hope helped you.

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I Have successfully run a vCenter using 4gb RAM, but would recommend ensuring you have two CPU cores.

Your Oscar

0 Kudos