VMware Cloud Community
sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere upgrade and software

With the ESX (32 bit) upgrade to vSphere(64 bit) and VIC upgrade to vCenter, do I need to worry about that the applications (most of them are on w2k3 and a few run on xp pro PC) may not be certificed to be on this environment even though they are running fine in ESX 3.5 (32 bit) and VIC 2.5 (32 bit )

As you can see, I put down 32bit and 64bit here. This is what we plan to do. Our current hardware does support 64 bit.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey, I know that when we migrated from 3.5 (32 bit) to vSphere (64 bit) all of our VMs, Windows Server 2000, 2003, and 2008 have all worked with out a hitch. vSphere has the ability to determin between VMs built on 3.5 and on vSphere. You can upgrade the vmware tools as needed. I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey, I know that when we migrated from 3.5 (32 bit) to vSphere (64 bit) all of our VMs, Windows Server 2000, 2003, and 2008 have all worked with out a hitch. vSphere has the ability to determin between VMs built on 3.5 and on vSphere. You can upgrade the vmware tools as needed. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The guest OS compatibility of vSphere will cover the one from ESX 3.5 (have a look on HCL).

So don't worry.

OS that was at 32 bit remain still at 32 bit.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Propenguin,

Thanks you. Could you explain a little bit more on upgrade the vmtools as needs and what about the vm hardware upgrade?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Whenever we upgraded from 3.5 to 4 we were able to upgrade the virtual machines when ever we needed to. As Andre said 4 will support VMs that are 3.5. So even though you upgrade to 4 you are in no rush to upgrade your VMs to 4. Upgrading the vmtools is fairly easy just a few clicks. Much like installing the tools originally you just need to right click on the VM and instead of going to install go to upgrade vmtools.

Here is a link talking about the upgrading of tools and hardware: Upgrading

sweetmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you

0 Kudos