VMware Cloud Community
rz1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere upgrade: VM tools/hw and VMFS

Hello all,

Just have a quick question (hopefully).  We've gone through the process of upgrading our Mgmt servers (vcenter, update manger, SRM) to 5.1.  We have also already upgraded all of our ESX hosts to 5.1.  We are upgrading from a 4.1 environment.

My question is whether there is any order (preferred or otherwise) when upgrading the vm's (tools/hw) and VMFS?  All of our datastores are VMFS3.

I previously thought that VMFS was the next step in the upgrade, but after reviewing the documentation further, it looks like they are completely independent and it doesn't really matter in what order they are done.   (I do realize that when we perform the upgrade of vmtools/hw, we upgrade vmtools first and then the vm hardware.)

Our plan for upgrading VMFS was to use storage vmotion and roll through all the datastores by clearing them out, reformatting from scratch, and then moving on to the next one.

Thank you...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just a quick hint - ALWAYS update your management servers first (not the other way around).

VMtools and VMFS are totally indepednent.  You can do them in any order, and they actually aren't required at all.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just a quick hint - ALWAYS update your management servers first (not the other way around).

VMtools and VMFS are totally indepednent.  You can do them in any order, and they actually aren't required at all.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
rz1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Kudos