VMware Cloud Community
macbroadcast
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere server install error on Windows server 2008r 64bit

Hello experts , i am clueless,

I installed Windows Server 2008r 64bit on my machine, but when i start installing vcenter server 5.0/5.1 i got the following error.

Any idea ? System requirements should be sufficient

Thanks a lot

Nachricht geändert durch macbroacast

6 Replies
BoneTrader
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi macbroadcast,

is your w2k8r2 configured as a Domain Controller?

0 Kudos
macbroadcast
Contributor
Contributor

How can i check ?

0 Kudos
BoneTrader
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

without wanting to Sound arrogant, but ->  you should know what your Server is actually running.

You can´t run vCenter Server on a Domain Controller.

VMware clearly states in "vSphere Installation and Setup" the following passage "Make sure the system on which you are installing vCenter Server is not an Active Directory Domain controller." (Page 196)

if your Server is a Domain Controller, it won´t work 😉

0 Kudos
macbroadcast
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry i am comming from OSX world and i am not familar with Windows Server 2008r, this is actually the first windows server i installed  in my life Smiley Wink

So, someone told me i need to run the "DCpromote" command and "demote" the server back down to a member server (the command "promotes" and "demotes" )

Correct ?

Thanks

raog
Expert
Expert

yes.. the command to run is "dcpromo" and follow the wizard.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
BoneTrader
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

or you could leave the Server be (must have a reason for having one 😉 ) and use the vCenter Virtual Appliance, so you can use both, with less trouble.

0 Kudos