VMware Cloud Community
mtccomm
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere edition license upgrade

i'm finding conflicting information on this answer, can someone clarify or point me in the right direction? 

I am currently running vSphere 6 Essentials Plus.  We have already purchased licensing to move to vSphere 7 Standard.  We are not able to upgrade to v7 just yet but I would like to go ahead and apply the 'standard' license before we attempt to upgrade to vSphere 7. 

I read through the article on downgrading licenses (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81665?lang=en_US#Downgrade)  and it would appear that I can downgrade my 7 standard license to 6 standard and upgrade the license back to 7 later.

If I downgrade the 7 standard license to 6 standard, can I apply to my existing vSphere 6 Essentials environment 'on the fly' with no downtime, no glitches etc?

Can i immediately take advantage of standard version features after doing so?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
If you have VMwarevSphere Essentials kit this includes a vcenter server Essentials license and a VMware vSphere Essentials license for 6 CPUs (3 servers with 2 CPUs each).

If you purchased new licenses it is recommended to register them in VMware with the same user and password where the licenses are registered 6.

What type of licenses 7. Did you purchase a kit or separate licenses?

If it was a kit like vSphere Standard Acceleration Kit, it includes a vCenter server Standard license and a VMware vSphere Standard license for 6 CPUs.

If you only purchased VMware vSphere Standard licenses for ESXi Hosts only, you need a vCenter server Standard license. (if you have a vcenter server)

The change of licenses is online, and if you can downgrade the 7 licenses to version 6.

VMware vSphere Compute VirtualizationLicensing, pricing and packagin
Attached link

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
mtccomm
Contributor
Contributor

We purchased a vsphere standard acceleration kit.  my.vmware account shows we have a vCenter Server 7 Standard and vSphere 7 Standard license. 

Our licenses unfortunately are not registered with the same account that our vSphere 6 licenses are registered with and I have little to no useful documentation on the original vmware 6 build.

Ultimately I would like to take advantage of the Standard edition features now if possible since we have to hold off for a bit on the v6 to v7 upgrade.  I'm unclear if it is feasible to downgrade the acceleration kit licenses and apply to our current environment to gain the standard edition features, and if it will cause any issues when we upgrade to vsphere 7 later. 

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello
As long as the support and subscription contract (S&S contract) is active, you can downgrade or upgrade your licenses.
However, I would take a screenshot with the version 7 licenses, before downgrading to version 6.

As the license change is between Essentials and Standard it may need some offline time and/or suspension or deactivation of some services with HA, DRS, Clustering.

If your VMware structure is simple, i.e. no HA, DRS, Cluster configuration. You could try the following path

1. add the vcenter server Standard and vSphere Standard 6 CPU licenses (these are the new licenses, which were previously downgraded to version 6) in the vcenter Server, licenses section (Do not activate them yet)
2. disconnect the ESXi hosts from the vcenter server, the VMs will continue to work.
3. Change or assign the vcenter standard v 6 license to the vcenter Server.
4. verify that the current license of the vcenter server is now Standard
5. Now add one by one the ESXi hosts, during the process you must assign the new vsphere Srtandard license. (needs root user and ESxi password).
6 Verify that the ESXi licenses are now vSphere Standard.

If you have concerns (that would be normal) you could choose to shut down all VMs before starting the changes.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
mtccomm
Contributor
Contributor

Well a little more involved than I'd hoped for but seems do-able.  Thanks for spelling out the steps for me. I don't believe we are not currently using HA or DRS so that should simplify a bit. 

We do have a valid support contract and keep it current so upgrading licenses shouldn't be an issue when it is time to upgrade. 

0 Kudos