VMware Cloud Community
trunksy
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere client for Windows 8

Anyone figure out a way to get past the install error message that you have to downgrade to Windows XP SP2 or higher to install the client? I'm trying to install the vSphere client on Windows 8 64-bit.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
phenix38
Contributor
Contributor

It's ok with windows 7 compatibility

0 Kudos
MicaHZ
Contributor
Contributor

The install completes succesfully in Windows 7 Compatibility mode, however running it is a different story. Mine will only run in XP SP3 comp. mode but even then it has lots of freezes! Also, the console is not working so you'll have to use workstation 8 to connect to the console of a vm!! See http://communities.vmware.com/message/2000205#2000205 for further details.

trunksy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, the workaround seems to be to run Workstation 8. It works for me even without the compatibility mode.

I guess we'll have to wait until VMWare comes out with their next version. 😞

0 Kudos
jimraina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi trunksy,

Welcome to the community.  I think windows 8 having compatibilit issue,      p>

"You are stronger than you think"
0 Kudos
SirOssis
Contributor
Contributor

You MUST be logged in as a "Local Administrator".

Add your account to the Local Administrators Group

If Windows 8 asks you for Administrator credentials it will not install correctly .

Note:

Right click on the install files select "Properties", click "Compatability" tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode select "Windows 7" or "Windows XP (SP3), check "Run this program as administrator".

Launch the file

Side Note:

The installer gave me an error while attempting to install J#2.0.

The solution was to extract the VMware-viclient.exe (that I downloaded from the VSphere server) and find the install files ("extracted folder" \redist\vjredist\x64)

And perform the same capatability mode steps as above.

Then re-run the Vsphere client install again

0 Kudos
ITGuy72
Contributor
Contributor

This works to install it but there is still major issues with this version on windows 8.  I cant connecct an ISO to a vm to boot from.  When I click the cd connect button all I get is a little blue circle going around and around.  No menu or anything.

The contextual menues dont close all the time either.  Im pretty sure this is just a display/rendering issue but still an issue when you need something under the menu.

0 Kudos
ArtB
Contributor
Contributor

Using "Compatibility mode" for installation worked for me on Windows 8 Enterprise x64.

Nearly all other functions see to work fine in the vSphere client, except the console which gives me an error:

"The VMRC console has disconnected...attempting to reconnect."

The error appears in both the "external" as well as the "windowed" console.

The usual solutions for above problem won't solve it, neither does running it in "compatibility mode".

That is a bit of a showstopper for me (and might be for you after you get it to install).

Garbled screens are probably caused by driver issues, due to Windows using graphics drivers to render the desktop and applications.

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The problem is fixed now.  Just download the latest version of the  vSphere client VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-913577.exe and install it.   Reboot and the problem is fixed!

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos