David_R
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Web Client 5.1 error when using Linked Mode

We have two vCenter 5.1 servers running in Linked Mode (Server 2008 R2 with remote SQL 2005).  When I log in to the WebClient, I get the error "Unable to connect to vCenter Inventory Service on <servername>, and I'm only able to see the Inventory of one of the vCenter Servers.

Capture.JPG

When I take the servers out of Linked Mode, they both now show up in the Web Client, due to the new SSO service.  But, of course, now they don't both show up in the VI Client, as is the advantage of Linked Mode.  I'm not getting any of the typical Inventory Service issues in the VI Client (Hardware Status tab errors, etc.), only the one issue with the WC.  I did find a KB article that showed some promise. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2019346  But, alas, no joy.  I've spent about 5 hours with Support working on this, and they seem to be just as stumped.

Has anyone come across this and conquered it?

Thanks a lot,

David

0 Kudos
9 Replies
stephenrbarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the exact same issue.  Were you able to get yours resolved?

0 Kudos
David_R
Contributor
Contributor

No, and Support is still grasping at straws as well.  If you have a support contract, please open a support case.  Maybe between our two sets of log files, they'll be able to figure it out.

David

0 Kudos
KevinClawson
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get resolution to this? I am seeing the same thing

0 Kudos
jof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here, did you ever find a resolution to it?

0 Kudos
jof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Found out what the issue was for me. One of my vCenter servers had dual NICs and the binding order was incorrect, fixing this solved the problem.

0 Kudos
James_K1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

How did you go with this one? I have had vmware chasing their tales for over a month and have made no progress at all

Any luck by any chance (Did check the bindings as per jof's post)

Thanks

J

0 Kudos
hharold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorry guys, I can only say that we have encountered the same issue.
No solution found yet?

Cheers,

Harold

0 Kudos
James_K1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Harold,

We had vmware stumped on this for months and were getting nowhere

For us, ours randomly started working after we upgraded Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery on our VC servers....that is the only change that we can point at before it suddenly started working - we had tested with all 3rd party services disabled etc but problem still occurred, so very strange, but I am happy as Larry that it is working now

There has to be something blocking communications on your servers if  you have tried everything above and still have the same issues I had - pin pointing was a nightmare though as the ports all seem to be listening etc

Good Luck

James

0 Kudos
Slingsh0t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My environment had the exact same issue.  Tried many fixes from many KB articles including restarting services and rebuilding the Inventory Services database.  I was just about to break the Linked Mode on my vCenters when I performed the steps here:

(I stopped the Inventory Service first)

VMware vSphere 5.1

And now its fixed!  Hope this helps others with the same issue.

The VC that was showing the error in the web client had two nics configured so I assume the Inventory Service must have been binding itself to the incorrect IP address.  The nic binding order was correct.

0 Kudos