VMware Cloud Community
ALL212
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere V5.1 networking with HP

I'm installing vSphere 5.1 essentials plus on a pair of HP DL380G8's - each has 12 NICS.  This might be overkill!

I've a pair of HP 2910al switches that will be used exclusively for this project.  I have jumbo and flow-control turned on.  I have 6 ports on each switch trunked to each other.

Do I need any VLANs ever?  On either the switch side or the VMware side?  I've created a configuration that more or less matches the best practices guide - give or take a NIC.  I need 2 NIC's on each server reserved for a future project.

What is my most efficient use of networking with this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community -It is a good idea to use vlans to isolate the different types of traffic -  If you do use vlans you will have to configure bothe within the vSphere environment as well as the physical switches,

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ALL212
Contributor
Contributor

I can do that.  But which traffic should get the vlans?  

Can I VLAN the trunk?  Should I VLAN all the iSCSI traffic?  Can I VLAN the Vmotion and fault tolerance?

Many ports, many options.

I forgot the good stuff - on the back end of this will be two HP Storevirtual 4330's.

My picture...

VMWare NIC Layout.jpg

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes you can vlan all the traffic - as I said best practice is to isolate the different types of traffic - managemnet, iscsi, vm, vmotion - for security and performance.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos