VMware Cloud Community
uushaggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Update Manager Issues with Imported Patch Repository

I work in an environment where I have several VM clusters/environments. One of these is an isolated environment, without Internet connectivity. I have sucessfully exported/imported patches before with no problem, but am now having problems. I am working to toward upgrading to vSphere 4 in all environments.

All environments have had vCenter upgraded to v4 and are working fine. All servers are ESX 3.5.0 u4. I setup a server to serve as a UMDS server and sucessfully downloaded and exported patch to a USB drive. The version.txt file says the patch repository is 4.0.0 - build 162-871. These files were moved to the isolated vCenter server and a patch repository was setup in vCenter. I saw that the patches were then moved into the patch directory I specified when I installed vCenter so everything looked good.

I was able to scan my ESX servers and verify what level of compliance they were all at. My problem is that afer a scan I keep seeing warning messages like " Found missing patch PATCH-ID while scanning HOST. Re-downloading patch definitions may resolve this problem". Well re-downloading doen't appear to fix the problem. Maybe some of this is just noise because I can update ESX hosts, however it can take several tries to complete the patching. I have the default baselines attached to my cluster. Right now I am only getting the current ESX 3.5.0 u4 servers patched up prior to the upgrade, which may happen very soon after the current environment is compliant.

Anyone seen this or have any info?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
0 Replies