VMware Cloud Community
ajoshi0
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Running is VM Workstation, Cannot get guests os to work

I have installed vmWorkstation 6.5 on a HP AMdx74 desktop. No Sweat.

Installed vsphere on the vmWorkstation using Xtravert.com white paper. No Sweat.

Logged in for a second machine using vSphere client and select host then created a VMGuest. When the guest is powered on the console is completely blank.

I am going crazy. Please help.

-AJ

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post the vmware.log file for the outer VM?

0 Kudos
ajoshi0
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure where the log file is located as the guest is in the esx but here is the dum from the events screen from the vsphere client: Also I have noticed that that the cpu on the guest goes to 100% after about 30 seconds.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am not sure where the log file is located as the guest is in the esx...

You're thinking of the inner VM. I'd like to see the vmware.log file for the outer VM (i.e. the ESX VM).

0 Kudos
ajoshi0
Contributor
Contributor

is the is the log you are looking for?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No; I'm looking for a file called 'vmware.log', which can be found in the same directory/folder as your ESX virtual machine configuration file.

0 Kudos
ajoshi0
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, here it is...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Three things:

1) AMD-V is disabled in your host BIOS. AMD-V must be enabled for nested VMs to work. See .

2) ESX4 requires a minimum of two virtual processors. ESX4i can get by with only one.

3) Performance will be greatly improved if you use RVI. Select execution mode 'AMD-V + RVI' on the processors tab.

0 Kudos
ajoshi0
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you,

I am now going to crawl under the rock where I came from. I saw the virtualization on the BIOS a dozen times and ignored it.

-AJ

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Be sure to completely power off your system after making the BIOS change. A soft reset is not enough to unlock AMD-V.