VMware Cloud Community
thinsley
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Guest OS error: The requested operation requires elevation

This is a brand new gues OS install. Windows 2008 R2. Once the OS is installed, anything I try to do, gets this error message: "The requested operation requires elevation"

Typically, you see this message if you attempt to do something that requires administrative privileges. However, I am logged in an as Admin, and have 0 rights. I can't even install updates, or really do anything until this is resolved. This is really hampering our evaluaiton process. Please help!

I'm sure it's something simple that I've overlooked, or done incorrectly. FYI, I've deleted and recreated the server multiple times thinking that I may have done something incorrect in the setup. Please help ASAP!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

turn off UAC and that reminder goes away.

0 Kudos
thinsley
Contributor
Contributor

That's just it, see I can't even launch that to disable it. When I click on the "Change User Account Control Settings..." I get prompted for Admin credentials. I enter them and then nothing happens. I click it again, and again am prompted for user credentials.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

...and they are set to "Never Notify"

maybe a reboot?

0 Kudos
thinsley
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I'll reboot now. FYI, I can't even launch Server Manager because of this roadblock. I'll update after the reboot.

0 Kudos
thinsley
Contributor
Contributor

Is "Reset Virtual Server" the equivalent of the reboot? I don't have the option to Restart from the Guest OS. Or are you referring to the Host Server? Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There's a difference with UAC when logging in as the local "Administrator" compared to a user with administrative permissions. Can you try the same as the "Administrator" (unless that's what you already do).

André

0 Kudos
thinsley
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I had to logon to the local server itself as the Administrator, then make the UAC changes. I don't quite understand why I had to do this, however it's solved my problem. I thought it might be something simple! Thanksa for all your help!

0 Kudos