VMware Cloud Community
CentOSfan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Eval question about Storage

Hi,

I have 4 servers to evaluate vSphere and here is what I have to work with and where I am and my question about storage.

3 HP DL380 G5 servers with 8GB ram each and 4x146GB drives

1 HP DL380 G6 Server with 12GB and 3x146GB, 5x300GB drives.

I have installed ESXi4 on the G6 server with two datastores, first 268GB, second 1.09TB.

I plan to install ESXi4 on the other 3 machines and have vCenter

Server running as VM's on two of the servers.

Now on to my question.

I do not have a tradional SAN device. I have plenty of disk space however, if you add up all the disks on the 4 servers. How would you best utilize

the existing hardware I have to setup a configuration that supports HA, vMotion and DRB. Again, using the 4 servers with the

current hard drives installed. Can I create a virtual SAN by utilizing all the disk across the 4 servers? Is my understanding of running two VM's of

vCenter on 2 seperate servers a reasonable approach to running it?

Thanks for any help. My first attempt at trying to setup ESX/Vsphere.

Cordially,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

StorMagic www.stormagic.com has a free Virtual SAN for vSphere.

You can create up to 2 TB per ESX with the free license.

You should be able to test vSphere (HA, DRS, vMotion)

However, I do see that FT is not fully supported yet.

Stan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I do not have a tradional SAN device. I have plenty of disk space however, if you add up all the disks on the 4 servers. How would you best utilize

the existing hardware I have to setup a configuration that supports HA, vMotion and DRB. Again, using the 4 servers with the

current hard drives installed.

Without shared storage (NFS, iSCSI, FC SAN) you can't use HA, vMotion and thereby DRS.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will not be able to span the storage across your 4 servers - what I would recommend is take one of your machines and use a product like OpenFiler or FreeNAS to present an iSCSI/NAS storage device to the remaining three machines - that way you can test the features, like vmotion, HA, DRS, that require shared storage. In terms of virtual center I would run just a single instance of virtual center because HA will still work without virtual center running -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
CentOSfan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the helpful answer. I saw that HP has a Virtual SAN Appliance. Could that take advantage of my local disk storage across the

DL380's?

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/va/92113/download

It look to be pretty expensive software, after the trial $4K.

It sounds like my hardware is not well suited for vSphere enviroment. The servers all run CentOS and during varying times during the day

tax the CPU/Disk heavily. I suspect that putting them on a SAN and accessed via 1Gb ethernet connection will be much slower than

the disk array right on the server. Thus giving up significant performance/watt

Converting one of the machines to a SAN, seems like a waste of hardware, the G5's only hold 8 disks and are dual quad core servers.

Am I correct in assuming that a SAN will provide much slower I/O than a disk array on the server itself?

I guess the ideal environment would be a Blade(s) servers connect at 10Gb to a iSCSI SAN?

Unfortunately I am forced to use the existing hardware I have. I could buy a dedicated SAN storage device, but my impression is

that I am giving up the very fast I/O of the HP 410iP400 raid storage controller's in the DL380's. Kinda makes me wonder as

I learn more about the vSphere environment, where a server like a DL380 fits in. It would appear they are not ideal (2U) in

a vSphere environment where a lan based SAN is a requirement, those nullifying the performance of the local disk controller & disks.

Thanks for any additional thoughts, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Cordially,

Paul

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think the equipment will definitely be adequate to evaluate vSphere - for most if not all applicaitons you will virtualize for the evaluation they will not be affected by the 1 GB connectivity to the shared storage - ESX 3.x has supported iSCSI for 4 years and implemented with 1 GB iSCSI/NAS networks - If cost is of concern try using OpenFiler - an open source SAN solution

I know of many environments that use the DL380 series as their virtualization platform -

CentOSfan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I imagine the DL380 will work fine, but my point is that in a vSphere enviroment, it's not really necessary.

Effectivley, in a vSphere enviroment that supports vmotion, DRS etc. You have to have a dedicated SAN. So the DL380 are

essentially only being used for their CPU/memory. The expensive disk subsystems in wasted.

I Blade server is much more effective, since all you need are CPU's and memory, the disk storage on the DL380's are wasted.

Thanks for you help.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As mentioned I would use one machine to create shared storage. I personally prefer NFS for it's simplicity but . . . Move the G6 drives (probably dual port so maybe not) of the drives to one of the G5s. You can use a standard Linux distribution and create a single NFS share. Mount the same NFS share as a datastore on the three ESX(i) hosts.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

StorMagic www.stormagic.com has a free Virtual SAN for vSphere.

You can create up to 2 TB per ESX with the free license.

You should be able to test vSphere (HA, DRS, vMotion)

However, I do see that FT is not fully supported yet.

Stan

0 Kudos