VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

vSphere Enterprise Plus position? Enterprise to be discontinued on 12/15/09?

There are only a handlful of features that are exclsuive to Enterprise Plus licenses:

• Centralized virtual network management. Simplify provisioning and administration of virtual networking
    through a centralized interface. Create and manage a single distributed switch with distributed virtual port groups
    than span a Datacenter wide array of ESX/ESXi hosts.

• Support for Private VLANs

• Network VMotion.

• Bidirectional Network Traffic Shaper.

• Third Party Distributed Virtual Switches.

• vStorage APIs for Multipathing.

• 8-way Virtual SMP™.

Centralized virtual network management seems to the one that stands out the most as I thought this would be a Enterprise feature.

I am pleasantly surprised that FT is in every product except for Standard. I thought that this feature would be an add-on above Enterprise.

I am guessing this license is geared towards large environments that have been clamoring for enhanced Storage and Network management features. But does it really warrant a new license type?

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
97 Replies
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What concerns is me if they discontinue Enterprise on 12/15, and we do not upgrade to Enterprise Plus, how long will we be able to renew our Enterprise SNS before being forced up to Enterprise Plus, or down to another level?

What I don't understand is why would VMware continue to sell Enterprise licenses if they are just going to discontinue you it at the end of the year?

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You are grandfathered in at the Enterprise level. That means you will continue to have the features associcated with it. You're licenses will not be down-converted to Advanced. At next SnS renewal, you can continue to pay Enterprise level support (where the cost is above advanced, below Ent+).

After 12/15, you won't be able to buy any new Enterprise licenses... but you can continue running existing hosts with the Enterprise feature set as long as you like. List price on Platinum SnS for Enterprise is $719/cpu, equivalent to the $1438/2cpu cost today. Thus, there is NO cost increase to existing Enterprise level customers on your existing systems. In theory, you don't have to ask management for anything, and you gain some functionality offered in vSphere 4 Enterprise. If you have already built your budget for your next fiscal year where you plan to purchase additional host licenses, then you may need to request additional funds. If you plan to purchase prior to 12/15, you have nothing to worry about (unless you have absolute need for the Ent+ features).

With the current crop of servers being introduced, I expect that existing long term VMware adopters will start to realize a net drop in the number of hosts they need to support their infrastructure, especially those with a significant portion of their systems already virtualized. If you are updating host hardware, you will not need the same number of host licenses to maintain equivalent services.

Thus, you can begin to retire licenses and spend less! Or you can re-use those licenses on hosts required for new services, decreasing your up-front host costs.

0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

While the new crop of hardware coming up may reduce servers for some companies, I probably won't have that luxury. If all 28 of my hosts were in one central location, then yes, I could possibly get away with cutting the number of servers in half. But seeing as I have 7 sites, I'm not going less than 3 servers per site in our hardware refresh next year, and some sites will still have 4 servers. So in all, I may save not having to buy 3 servers, as I'd set up a two host test cluster since I would have the licenses.

But being a customer with VMware since 2006, and our company continuing to add VMware ESX hosts in different areas, it would have been nice to be given a heads up on a licensing change, especially when I was invited to participate in the Beta and was given an "Enterprise" license that included Host Profiles and DVS. When you've got 28 hosts in 7 different states, a feature such as Host Profiles is great in keeping the hosts configured the same, or pushing changes to all 28 hosts. And when you've been using and testing this feature for months in the Beta, only to find out now I have to go ask management for more money in order to license this feature, it's a bit aggravating. I would have been willing to sign an NDA to learn about new licensing models just so I could have budgeted for Enterprise Plus.

I can understand a new licensing model in order to support third party products, such as the Nexus 1000v or EMC Powerpath. This is new ground for VMware letting third parties run software for core functions. But Host Profiles? This should have been included in Enterprise.

rburbridge
Contributor
Contributor

We signed our ELA less than 6 months ago so needing to budget for an upgrade already is a fun one to explain. The only feature I'm really interested in on the plus upgrade is the distributed switch, and I am only interested in it because it is a requirement to use the Nexus 1000v. I hope 3rd party storage vendors jump on the multi-pathing very quickly, that will be a nice feature. It will be nice to have the polish that Host profiles will bring, but the functionality is easy enough to reproduce with some scripting profeciency. I could do without the other features.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

With this price increase I am concerned that VMware will open the door to it's competitors. I am amazed that VMware is choosing to raise prices when the perception (not reality:TCO) is that they are already too expensive. This move gives the MS FUD machine another piece of ammo when they are picking off potential VMware customers. IMHO, VMware should be adding to their class-leading feature set while reducing prices.

I guess I am not shocked. It took VMware months before they relented and made a free version of ESX to compete with Hyper-V. That was months that MS used to build the FUD about we are free and they are expensive argument, which while it is no longer true, still persists today.

NOTE to VMware: Remember, in the long run, the best technology doesn't always win.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

if I recall, VMware ESXi was free before Hyper-V

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
jpedrocarvalho
Contributor
Contributor

I always find it funny to see that these posts never get an answer from vmware people. Just let the post die................

0 Kudos
jasoncllsystems
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think any VMware staffs will reply on this post. Don't you?

Regards,

CLL SYSTEMS

MALAYSIA VMWARE COMMUNITIES

http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

They may not reply to this thread but believe me they have read it. myself and several other senior member and Bloggers have been approaced by VMware corporate about our positioning on the new licensing strategy, whether they have listened to us is another matter altogether

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
jpedrocarvalho
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your replies.

We are a small company with only to hosts, but I spent a few months convincing my administration to buy vmware enterprise, and it will be very very difficult to ask for money to upgrade with the current global scenario.

Thanks again.

João Pedro Carvalho

0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you do not need Distributed Virtual Switches, the need for Cisco Nexus 1000v, third party MPIO support, or host profiles, you do not need to upgrade. You will be able to continue maintenance on Enterprise, and receive all the features part of the Enterprise license.

At some point I expect VMware to move the features in Enterprise not in Advanced down to Advanced since new Enterprise licenses are going away at the end of the year.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

You missed a few things:

• Greater than 6 cores per socket requires EP

• Enterprise won't be available to purchase new after 12/15/09. So itf you want DRS or Storage vMotion, you are out of luck as well. In this case you WILL lose features unless you buy new EP licenses.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You missed a few things:

• Greater than 6 cores per socket requires EP

• Enterprise won't be available to purchase new after 12/15/09. So itf you want DRS or Storage vMotion, you are out of luck as well. In this case you WILL lose features unless you buy new EP licenses.

Matt, they are not "out of luck". If someone has already purchased Enterprise, as this fellow has, they remain entitled to Storage vMotion and DRS. For a two host setup, I don't imagine much use of the enterprise feature set, but he has them if needed. Nobody is going to lose anything, other than the option to purchase additional enterprise level licenses. If you need additional hosts with DRS/SvMotion, then you only have ONE choice after 12/15.

As to others wondering where VMware's response is, what kind of response are you actually looking for? A standard form letter saying they take all comments seriously? Acknowledgement that customers are unhappy that their investement in VMware only entitles them to the level of service they bought in at? (BTW - There has been VMware followups to this thread... which cleared up mis-labeled documentation on the website quickly) - I take it that's not what everyone wants to hear Smiley Wink

Everyone take it up with their VMware account managers if you care to, but ultimately let your purchasing decisions show VMware whether they made the right choice. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

I am sorry for not being more clear. I understand that you are not losing anything on existing Enterprise licenses. What I mean is that if you have currently have an Enterprise 2 node DRS cluster and you want to add a 3rd host to the DRS cluster as of 1/1/2010, you will be required to buy Enterprise Plus. You will be required to pay 18% more than you would now.

One of VMware's strengths is it loyal customers. These kind of uncharacteristic surprises chip away at that loyal following at a time when competitors are vying for our attention. This type of move will not affect VMware immediately as VMware's existing customers have no choice but to deal with the price increase, but we customers don't forget and as the competition gets better who knows.....

-MattG

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

You are correct nobody is going to "loose anything" however once your Enterprise ELA is up you have 2 choices either downgrade to Advanced and loose DRS and DPM or upgrade to Enterprise + for continuing support

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From a discussion I was on, I believe VMware said that you will be able to continue your maintenance agreement on Enterprise when it expires. You will not need to downgrade to Advanced or upgrade Enterprise Plus if do not want/need to. There may be other reasons that will justify changing licenses, such as support for processors with more cores.

There is going to be a void when Enterprise goes away. Will DRS, DPM, and Storage VMotion be an add on to Advanced? Will these three features be moved into Advanced? Of course if the latter happens, it should have been that way from the release.

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

> jguidroz wrote: Will DRS, DPM, and Storage VMotion be an add on to Advanced? Will these three features be moved into Advanced? Of course if the latter happens, it should have been that way from the release.

Not going to happen. VMware wants one "Enterprise" level license. You will not see those features in the lower licenses, as they are key components that differentiate VMware's product in today's market. Future major releases may see some of these components drop down to other licenses, but you will not see that happen in vSphere 4.

Also, there are no "downgrade" options. If you are at Enterprise, your only (VMware) choices are to: 1. remain at enterprise, or 2. upgrade to Plus.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Also, there are no "downgrade" options. If you are at Enterprise, your only (VMware) choices are to: 1. remain at enterprise, or 2. upgrade to Plus.

OK explain how after the 15th of December you have the option to remain at Enterprise when enterprise licenses and ELA or SnS is no longer being sold. you have to purchase SnS at Ent+ or remain locked out of upgrades. this is not a real choice it is a hobson choice ie no choice at all.

0 Kudos
kenner
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently, this is even worse than being discussed here. I only have six CPU's, so I decided it would be worth getting the upgrade to Enterprise Plus. However, it seems I can't do this. The dealer I spoke with was discounting them to $280/CPU. But he can't sel this to me without selling me Support, at $734/CPU in addition. I can sort of understand that except that I just purchased a support renewal and that's how I'm getting vSphere in the first place. It's not even that this support that I'd be buying would be a second year of support, but it would duplicate the previously-purchased support, except for about a month.

So the $295 appears completely bogus and certainly, in my opinion, constitutes false advertising.

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

I spoken to the Vmware representative in our region, I don't think they will change the new licensing package they offer now.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos