VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

vSphere Enterprise Plus position? Enterprise to be discontinued on 12/15/09?

There are only a handlful of features that are exclsuive to Enterprise Plus licenses:

• Centralized virtual network management. Simplify provisioning and administration of virtual networking
    through a centralized interface. Create and manage a single distributed switch with distributed virtual port groups
    than span a Datacenter wide array of ESX/ESXi hosts.

• Support for Private VLANs

• Network VMotion.

• Bidirectional Network Traffic Shaper.

• Third Party Distributed Virtual Switches.

• vStorage APIs for Multipathing.

• 8-way Virtual SMP™.

Centralized virtual network management seems to the one that stands out the most as I thought this would be a Enterprise feature.

I am pleasantly surprised that FT is in every product except for Standard. I thought that this feature would be an add-on above Enterprise.

I am guessing this license is geared towards large environments that have been clamoring for enhanced Storage and Network management features. But does it really warrant a new license type?

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
97 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Matt lets look at this rationally shall we, VI3 - no core limit and two CPU costs. vSphere - Core limits and single CPU costs. This is a similar way to when the UK changed from Charging Petrol in Gallons to litres. at the time the cost of a Gallon was approx £2.00 this equated to about 40 pence per litre. great that was cool, however preivously Tax was added at 1 or 2 pence per gallon. now it is added at 1 or 2 pence per litre. This equates to 5 to 10 pence per gallon. and Oil Companies raised prices in 1 to 2 pence increments, they still raise by 1 to 2 pence increments. so suddenly you Small price increase if $50 per license is suddenly $100 per equlivilant. the message here is "Do Not Believe the Hype"

FT although a very interesting and techical feature, in its self is not that useful, as it is not single CPU, How many mission critical servers do you have that only have a single CPU??? (Again Great Hype - come back when it can handle SMP). The real jewels were DVS and Hosted profiles and guest what we have to do to get those. Not to forget the extra $1000 or so for a Nexus1000v license per host.

I actually agree with Stu here, (amazing I know but stanger things have happened at Sea), and before you say anything here I also had this rant at the release of VMWare View 3. VMware have really missed the march here. to effectively increase licensing costs during a time of;

a: increased compitition from Microsoft,

b: during a time of decreased budgets,

to me beggers belief, there is no logical reason other than greed to introduce another level of licencing. MS are creeping, "Live Migration will be free" they should have gave that away in standard, it would still have needed a vCenter license.

in fact the ability to even purchase vMotion as an addon as gone and is not available until Advanced now.

Futher why as an Enterprise customer (note ENTERPRISE customer am I now limited to 6 cores (six cores just happen to be the largest i386 based processor size available at the moment)). I am effectively forced on to a license upgrade. if I or my customers wish to upgrade hardware to newer 8 or greater cored machines I have to "Purchase" the Enterprise Plus license - yes is is only $295 per processor. but what everybody seems to forget that is only until the end of December. when the price for upgrade suddenly becomes $695 per processor.

Also do not forget the Memory limitation as well, you do not get Unlimited memory support until Ent + either. this is another "issue" that will not kick in for a couple of years.

I Could go on but this will be the subject of a blog post. the launch was a Marketing Coup, on in the cold light of day, I am starting to feel a sour taste in my mouth.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
jasoncllsystems
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think anyone put in VMware upgrade budget this year.

Regards,

CLL SYSTEMS

MALAYSIA VMWARE COMMUNITIES

http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
sradnidge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Somebody, points to Howarth please!

:smileygrin:

0 Kudos
jasoncllsystems
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

agreed.

Regards,

CLL SYSTEMS

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

8-core options will not be available until Q1 2010. So for this year the 6-core limitation will not be an issue.

By which time the upgrade price will be $695 per Processor not $295 this equates to a $1400 per pervious license increase in costs. think I have just build a "small" DC of 20 hosts using Enterprise. this means a $280,000 list upgrade cost on hardware refresh. or being tied into legacy hardware.

The thing to remember is that 6-core limit is for GA in 2009. It doesn't mean they won't modify those numbers upward.

I think you are being rather niave here Matt. the 6 core limit is there for a reason and that is to force upgrade, they know enterprise custmers will need - note need now like or desire - 8 core therefore by fixing a hard core limit they have effectively forced upgrade or painful migrations to other technologies. (this is a very dangerous path to take) Enterprise are not bothered about "it is the best tech arguement, it is and has always been bottom line costs

I know it will force me to upgrade to Plus as the best ROI is the largest CPU core count and memory that I can pack in a server due to VM and MS DataCenter licensing being socket based.

If you want to see uproar, wait until VM or MS (DC) try to license based on cores. With the drastic increase in core counts, they would have to consider this as you will be able to do more virtualization with less software, which affects their bottom line.

MS will not License DataCenter per core - they do not need too, MS could make no money of DataCenter for 10 years and still outspend VMware on Marketing and R n D. Do not make any mistake here. Hyper-V will get better and will start to make inroads. VMware are in a battle. how they conduct their battles will decide their fate. Currently their Sales/Marketing department are just making Microsofts job that much eaiser. Any cost increase in these chalenging financal times is a very serious risk. I do hope they seriously thought this through, Personally I am not too sure. it smack of greed to me.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Agreed, it shows a remarkable lack of business knowledge and a sereve amount of niaveity on the part of the Sales and Marketing Teams. I can not beleive the stupidity of this move in such a challanging market. Short term gain - long term customer disfaction, techincal prowess is not enough, just speak to Novell, Netscape etc.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like VMware is not looking for expansion via growth, eg. more customers, but via increasing costs on currently "locked in" customers.

This tends to have the effect of loosing customers. Beancounters are not impressed with features when you tell them to fork out more money to keep what you have.

The whole new licensing scheme smells like short term greed.

Time to look into Xen/Hyper-V

--

Wil

Visit the VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Exactly VMware 0 - Competitors 1 (Own Goal VMware Sales/Marketing)

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

VMware take note - the people who have posted here are not on the whole C-Level Execs. We do not hold budget. but we do know and understand our Execs. This is not an option in the current market conditions. Everything was fluffy and cuddly on the lauchs, but now we are just feeling we and rained on from a great hight. this is a cynical attempt at gaining more revenue. Yes it may have the effect of making your sales figured higher in the short term single - three quarters. however long term you have just alienated a signifcant section of your customer base. Stu is correct. Enterprises pay Enterprise price for Enterprise level they expect to be at Enterprise level for the term of their agreements. Citrix did this with the introduction of their Platinum level - ask them what pain they felt. If the Sales/Marketing guy had just thought about this for a nano second before picking up the frapachinio mocka with a hazelnut shot and lemon twist. the vast majority of this hostility could have been averted by the simple process of grandfathering in current Enterprise customers.

VMware is a business we understand that - what we do not understand is the short term view that appears to have been taken with this decision, with no consideration to the political fall out that would ensue. Questions really need to be asked about the suitability of those who sat in what ever meeting this decision was made, As personally I seriously question their business nounce. Short term gain over long term growth is not the correct answer. As Sir Alan Sugar says, "Your Fired"

0 Kudos
shaofis
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to add that previous ESX3.x was restricted to 4 cores per processor... They have replaced or updated the document so I can't link to it.. but I am positive that it did have a core restriction in it.

I just found this... which is the first time I've seen it..

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

The core restriction was not a restriction persay as ESX would function perfectly well with the 6 core Intel Processors. The physical numbers were introduced to clarify licensing when Multi-core processors started to hit the market. and it was always at the level of the current processor capabilities and was the same level across all license tracks. This is the first time that VMware have specifically introduced different core counts for different license tracks

0 Kudos
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have to agree. I just had to make a pitch to get the money to move our company to Enterprise. Now, I'm having to make another pitch to move us to Enterprise Plus. I would have completely understood if VMware would have come out and said, "Look, we're going to give you all these features as part of Enterprise, but your SNS is going to up from what you currently pay." And my management would have been perfectly fine because we could budget for it. But now, I have to either get them to find money this year to save on the upgrade, or budget next year for 3 new features for which I'll have to justify the cost.

But what gets me is I could sell my management on Enterprise Plus as the new top level for licensing, and then in version 5.0, VMware introduces a Platinum level for features we may need. Now I would have to explain to them once again why we must upgrade.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

This is the exact issue, if VMware had grandfathered in the current Enterprise SnS customers and then stated that support would be increased on next subscription renewal to take account of the changes then there would not have been any issue. it is the fact that people are being forced into either finding budget from this fiscal year (difficult to impossible) to take advantage of the "cheap upgrade" cost or budget for next fiscal year and by over twice as much or drop down to Advanced.

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First... I had posted something a couple days ago, but it got eaten by the VMTN Lockness or something... if anyone got an email alert of the followup (it was "something something something... blah blah... Prediction"), please forward it back to the thread. I've not the energy to re-think or re-type it.

So, I had not seen the cheat sheet that was just posted either. Lets take a look at the new-model's cost for existing customers:

Current VI3 Enterprise Platinum SnS (list): $1438 (2-cpu)
vSphere 4 Enterprise Plus Platinum SnS (list): $874 (1-cpu)

So, if you are current in your maintenance and convert to vSphere 4 Ent+, you're looking at $2338 ($8742 + $2952) to keep current and bring licensing to the new top-tier level. Essentially, you're O&M spending will see an additional $450 per processor - but only if you act by 12/15. If you cannot, due to budget cycles or contract timing, you'll be looking at $750 additional per processor (next year) to keep pace.

I expect this is a result of hardware forecasts for their existing client base. I can rip out an existing four year old 5-host cluster and replace it with a new 3-host cluster and have 4x-10x available resources, easy.

0 Kudos
sradnidge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If our ELA was running out anytime soon, I'd be switching to Advanced and using the ~$1000 per socket saving to hire some devs and write my own DRS / HA / DPM / Host Profiles solution. Would be a damn sight more intelligent than DRS and HA in their current forms too. I'd hire Wil to architect it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

My 2 Quid

I really dont like the distributed switch (compared to the current setup) the advantages are small compared to the increase in the complexity of deployment, gives the impresion of cluster wide failover for created uplink groups/links cluster wide - wrong... the host profiles configuration looks real nasty with complex terminology ... I will continue to run with 3.5 scripts which WILL still work.... and FT has so many caveats on first release: especially only working on specific CPU families (+1 x vCPU) and requires "minimum 2 VMkernal Gb NICs for VMotion and two for FT logging", no SVmotion, Automatic DRS recommendation application, snapshops, hot add, no PV guests etc...

I like the vSphere links options to other vSphere servers though, even if the functionality is limited to permisssions etc...

The upgrade process seems simple but goodbye SQL 2000 (not supported)

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

get the frenchman to write a couple of Powershell scripts that should handle it :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
jasoncllsystems
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any VMware represantative can reply? Thanks.

Regards,

CLL SYSTEMS

0 Kudos
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Completely agree with everything you're saying Tom.

How am I going to be able to go and justify an upgrade cost of around $250,000 just to get the features we've been screaming after for ever (host profiles, DVS)? Mgmt just want stuff to work, and if all they're gonna get for their quarter of a million dollars are a couple of features they don't know or care anything about, why on earth would they agree to it?

Not a happy Enteprise customer at all. :smileyangry:

D.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Does no one care that according to the previously attached Enterprise will be discontinued on 12/15 which if true would require us to purchase Enterprise Plus from there on out?

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos