VMware Cloud Community
NeoTeagasc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere ESXi 5.1 to 5.5

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade ESXi 5.1 to ESXi 5.5 and add this host to our new vCenter with 5.5 Estate.

vSphere upgrade doc says that "If a SAN is connected to the host, detach the fibre before continuing with the upgrade or migration.

Do not disable HBA cards in the BIOS." But we do not have HBA's on our server as we use iSCSI storage and we use NICs to access storage.

Do I need to unplug NIC cables that connect to iSCSI SAN?

If I do not do this then I may risk of corrupting or formating VMS volumes presented this esxi 5.1 host ?

Any one that has performed similar upgrade before?

Thanks...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
brunofernandez1

i think this is more fore prevention reasons. we upgraded allready vmware infrastructures with over 15 esxi hosts and we did not detach the hbas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

I tested 1000  upgrade scenario and never seen that lun got  disconnect from the Storage after upgrade.

In the documentation also i have never seen such scenario . This might be specific to some configuration in general we don't do that.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
AndyEversden
Contributor
Contributor

Many versions / years ago there were issues were Datastores were formatted inadvertently! Therefore the VMware administrators of the day, always disconnected the existing storage (fiber) This best practice was adopted by VMware Support and I guess historically its remained in the documentation.

Kind Regards

Andy Eversden

0 Kudos