VMware Cloud Community
sidbryd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Cluster Deployment

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice, I am looking to fully automate a cluster deployment, the steps are roughly:

1) Deploy first ESXi host from bare metal (boot from SAN).

2) Deploy VM, install OS (Window 2008 R2), then MSSQL

3) Deploy VM, install OS (Window 2008 R2), then Virtual Center (5.0 update 2) connecting to the previouly created MSSQL server.

3) Deploy the remainder of the management servers, VUM etc

4) Install second ESXI host from bare metal (boot from SAN)

5) Create Datacenter

6) Add hosts to Datacenter

7) Create Cluster setup HA, DRS, enable EVC.

😎 Add the two esxi hosts to the cluster.

9) Possible add a third host in the future.

What I am hoping for is any real world knowledge and expertise in automated and orchestrated builds for the build process. My initial research has directed me to the Puppet/Razor implementation which seems to fit the bill. Is there anything else out there that can do something similar?

Thank in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
prabuvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chef is the other one....

FYI

An Overview of Chef — Chef Docs

0 Kudos
sidbryd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have looked at Chef and it does not have the ability (as far as I am aware) to deploy the systems I need.

Thank you for the response though. I am also really looking for some real world experience here as well.

0 Kudos
dmanconivifx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey

Check out the autolab setup files. it probably has alot of what you want to do re the cluster setup/vcenter config etc - http://www.labguides.com/autolab/

Cheers

0 Kudos
sidbryd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The challenge with this is that I need something that is production ready. Thank you for the response though. Again production experience in the area is what I am looking for.

0 Kudos