I am looking for some advice, I am looking to fully automate a cluster deployment, the steps are roughly:
1) Deploy first ESXi host from bare metal (boot from SAN).
2) Deploy VM, install OS (Window 2008 R2), then MSSQL
3) Deploy VM, install OS (Window 2008 R2), then Virtual Center (5.0 update 2) connecting to the previouly created MSSQL server.
3) Deploy the remainder of the management servers, VUM etc
4) Install second ESXI host from bare metal (boot from SAN)
5) Create Datacenter
6) Add hosts to Datacenter
7) Create Cluster setup HA, DRS, enable EVC.
😎 Add the two esxi hosts to the cluster.
9) Possible add a third host in the future.
What I am hoping for is any real world knowledge and expertise in automated and orchestrated builds for the build process. My initial research has directed me to the Puppet/Razor implementation which seems to fit the bill. Is there anything else out there that can do something similar?
Thank in advance.
I have looked at Chef and it does not have the ability (as far as I am aware) to deploy the systems I need.
Thank you for the response though. I am also really looking for some real world experience here as well.